Phase 13, part 4

The panicking crowds of viewers start to seek the closest exit

The panicking crowds of viewers start to seek the closest exit. Some of them even jump into the arena and run towards the exit for Champions. However, some of them don't make it. I notice several Champions with artificial limbs attacking and randomly slaughtering innocent Healthy audience.

What...? What are they doing?

I don't hesitate and attack the aggressors. One of them grabs a Healthy man and raises the artificial fist to strike him down. I kick him from behind and then knock him out with another kick aimed at his chin. Another thug, this time a woman, notices me and attacks me.

I get into a clash with her - it's a whole different feeling without the INF system inactive. Then, I hear footsteps behind me. Another Champion thug is going to attack me and the woman doesn't let me evade. I prepare for the strike. Is this where I end...?

I hear several cracks of electricity followed by a painful shriek. I see a tall Warden Champion in a blue jacket holding an electric rifle used to incapacitate offenders. When the Warden makes sure the offender is downed, he uses his artificial hand to help me with the woman.

I briefly thank him and aim towards the terraces where I saw Ryan and the others earlier. The people are everywhere, most of them panicking and scared to death. I pass several dead or unconscious bodies - civilians, Wardens, the Champions who decided to attack the people.

This is like a bad dream. I have to fight my own hysteria.

"Ryan! RYAN!" I scream. Then I finally see him. He's holding Katerina and Helena on his chest while Svetlana and Sotiris fight off the enemies. Jensen and Sajid ended up in a tight hug. I reach my maximum speed and join the fray. The enemies back off after they realize they have been outnumbered.

"What's... what's going on here?" Ryan yowls. "Zoya! We have to get out of here!"

"For sure," I nod. We create improvised formations where the Champions can protect their partners who stay close to each other. We pick the closest exit and aim towards it. The people are dying, but there's no room for heroism now. That's up to Wardens.

My only task is to get my friends out of here safe.

Screams, gunshots, electricity cracks, sporadic explosions. I feel tears entering my eyes as I dispatch another thug who tries to take a piece of me. What happened? It's clear this is a part of Nightingale's plan. Judging from the number of enemy Champions, she managed to get a lot of them on her side. A small army.

She said this is all my fault. Why? What would happen if I lost?

We are almost at the exit. Then, I see a lonely Champion amidst the chaos.

"Isaiah..." I voice.

He is completely passive. He doesn't fight anyone and doesn't even seem to seek the exit. "ISAIAH!" I scream, finally dragging his attention. "Come to me! We have to get out of here!"