Phase 6, part 4

I take out the main piece of the outfit and look at it

I take out the main piece of the outfit and look at it. It is a black leotard similar to one-piece swimsuit. It doesn't have any unnecessary cleavage (it actually covers the lower half of my neck) or cutaways - it is as modest as possible. Good job, Ryan.

I undress my current clothes and put on the leotard. The material is truly miraculous. It's not too tight, yet it seems to react to my every move and adapt to every posture I make. Almost like I was wearing nothing at all. It's warm and breathable at the same time. Like a second skin.

I pause a little when I see my exposed thighs in the mirror - the piece doesn't have any pant legs. Then I realize it's a logical move since this way, nothing will interfere with my most powerful weapon - my legs. There is no fabric that could diminish the power of my kick, not even the slightest.

The leotard is decorated by two white ornaments which look like stylized wings on my chest. On the back, there is another large symbol, this time a hurricane. That's great, Ryan thought also about personalization. After every second I'm wearing the leotard, I love it more.

However, there are some more things in the pack. I put on a pair of forearm guards made of hard leather which cover my arm from my wrist to the elbow. This is so awesome. Blocking incoming attacks with my bare arms could be painful and these guards are an idea straight from Heaven. Since it's not made of any kind of metal, it's not against the rules. I tighten the straps, ready for combat.

There is one more thing in the pack.

I reach for it and pull it out. As soon as I realize what is it, I drop it on the ground with a shriek and stick to the cubicle's wall. I try to catch my breath again. Relax. Ryan has no idea. It's a mere coincidence. Just put it back and don't panic. Calm down. Calm down...

What can be so terrible it made me flinch like this? A feather. A single goddamn black-and-white feather attached to a clip. It's a decoration I am supposed to weave into my hair, but I just can't force myself to do it. The memories hit me like a truck.

I recall almost identical feathers on my bleeding wounds, immense pain, the sense of terror and hopelessness. Wingbeat in the air above me.

I clench the clip between two fingers of my shaking hand and throw the feather decoration back into the pack. Explaining Ryan why I didn't wear it will be hard, but I can't stand that thing so close to me. I try to recover from the shock, aware that the first fight awaits me soon. I don't leave the cubicle until it's almost time to go. Then, I leave the pack and my casual clothes in the cubicle and join the group of other Champions aiming towards the door labelled Contestant terraces.

For some reason, I feel more confident in my new Champion outfit. The hurricane on my back symbolizes who I am. Fortunately, the stylized wings on my chest don't look like the real deal at all, so it doesn't make the panic like the hairclip did. They are basically made of several crescent shapes, so they can just as well symbolize wind just like the hurricane on my back.