Phase 8, part 3

O__|__X | Tempest | Maverick | X__|__O

The impact leaves me breathless. For the first time, I encountered Maverick's unbound fury, and it's not a nice experience. He doesn't even give me time to recover - I already see his foot above me, ready to stomp at me. I manage to roll aside just in time. The foot impacts on the ground, raising up a cloud of dust.

At least the viewers seem to finally enjoy the fight.

I do a handspring away from him and rev up the machinery in my legs again. I look into Maverick's goggles - his masked face shows no emotion whatsoever. That's another scary thing about him - he's just as menacing and anonymous as Yeomen he fought against a few hours ago.

I hurl myself forward again. This time, Maverick is ready for my trick. However, he has no idea I changed it a little. While he expects me to aim at his chest or head, I fly above his head and before he can reach up and catch me, I'm behid his back.

I land in a safety roll and immediately, before Maverick can turn around, I launch at him again. I land on his back and grasp his neck firmly, trying to overbalance him on his back. However, it's not easy considering Maverick probably weighs almost three times more than me.

He reaches for my arms. I jump up, landing on his shoulders (again, I take advantage of Scarla's balance training) and then on the top of his head. He reaches for me again, but I jump up again, making him grab only the top of his masked head. I make a 180 turn in the mid-air and upon landing, I kick up my knee which connects with his chin.

After I land, I roll into a safe distance. I manage to oppose Maverick as an equal and he doesn't seem to be holding back. It boosts my confidence. Tiny, almost unknown Tempest beating the most feared Champion who was too much even for Nightingale.

Maverick again enters his strange idle state. I can hear his huffing from several meters. He's repeatedly clenching and releasing his fist. This may be a good chance to strike, but I'm too confused by his strange behavior. What's behind it? Does he have to fight his exhaustion, himself or both?

He finally recovers and charges at me again. I stand my ground, waiting for a perfect moment to evade. However, while running, Maverick points his artificial hand at me, palm first, like Somnis trying to hypnotize me. However, there's no diode in his palm. There's... a hole.

I hear a hissing sound and in the next second, my world becomes a mix of heat, humidity and mist. I shriek and close my eyes. What the hell did he do? The next second, I realize it was steam. Maverick has a steam cannon integrated within his proth. A steam cannon he never used before.

Before I can recover, Maverick grabs my throat, picks me up and throws me away. I fly through the whole arena until the arena's fence doesn't stop me.

OO_|__X | Tempest | Maverick | XX_|__O

I sweep the water droplets off my face. Steam cannon? That's a dirty trick. But why did Maverick not use it until now? In preliminary rounds? Is he decided to defeat me no matter what? Nothing makes sense anymore. Is this his way to reward me for saving him?