Phase 11: One Wish, part 1

"Over the centuries, over the millenia, we learned violence leads us nowhere. It hinders the progress and invokes emotions which directly conflict with noble virtues like curiosity, charity, striving to discover something new and go beyond boundaries that are considered uncrossable. An army is nothing but a burden, a ball on a chain attached to feet of all of us, hungry for resources that can be used elsewhere. My dream is to break this chain and set our minds free."

The speech from the year 61 a.I. by Eric Torvalds. The union of DIANA was formed three years later and Torvalds became its first president.

 The union of DIANA was formed three years later and Torvalds became its first president

I'm actually surprised that Nightingale didn't step back from the tournament. She attended her fight with Maria despite knowing the braker in her bloodstream will inhibit her muscles soon after the fight starts. However, it's clear something is not right with her. Nightingale's usual confidence is gone and she walks into the arena like she was about to be executed.

Our group keenly observes the fight. The other viewers have no idea Nightingale is drugged and expect Devotee to suffer a heavy loss. Well, today is going to be rough for bookmakers.

It's clear that Nightingale isn't going to give up easily. At the beginning, she fights fiercely and Maria has barely a chance to retailate. Valentina is determined to win the fight before braker kicks in. And really, within the first few minutes, she scores two Fatal points.

However, soon after, Nightingale's movements start to slow down. It's easier for Maria to counter her attacks and fight back using her artificial arm with repulsor diode. Soon, she just plays with Nightingale, pulling a good show for the viewers. Finally, she scores the final Fatal point by slamming Nightingale against the stadium boards with a powerful blast of her Counter-gravity weapon.

"And... ladies and gentlemen, we're in for a big surprise!" the commentator announces. "I won't lie - I also thought that Devotee will fall as another victim of Nightingale's victory spree. But the seemingly insignificant, underestimated Champion did it! It seems that Nightingale has a bad luck for welcomers since we all still remember her debacle with Maverick."

Nightingale doesn't seem she wants to remember her debacles. She angrily leaves the arena, not even waiting for Célia, her partner. Maria returns to the terraces and it's the first time I see her smile.

In her Champion costume, she looks completely different than last night. She's wearing a black sleeveless jerkin with a big, leather templar cross proudly engraved on its chest. It reveals her slim arms carrying the pigment scars like marks received in battle. She also has white leggings with a long, black and white overskirt and a tiara with a silver cross on her forehead.

We also notice her partner - Pietro, if I remember correctly. It's a young, good-looking man with a kind smile. He congratulates his Champion, but I can't overlook there's some kind of barrier between them. It looks like Maria doesn't like any kind of human contact, so she keeps even the relationship with her partner formal. Pietro, however, doesn't seem to mind.