Phase 8: A Fateful Reunion, part 1

"I live for fighting. I doubt anyone can understand. I know nothing better than completely destroy and humiliate the enemy, getting drunk on power. If I could, if that goddamn INF system didn't stop me, I would break their skulls, rip off their limbs, let their blood pour on me. But since I can't... I have to satisfy with what I have. Beat them up, win the fight, claim the prize. Repeat. I feel my blood boiling inside of me."

A controversal speech of a Castaway known as Scatterbrain after he became a Champion of Champions in the year 126. He was later gunned down after he massacred four Champions during the Berlin Challenge in 127.

Maverick

"Why did you do it?"

I approach the figure in front of me. Her condescending smile is making my fight even worse. The red screen is taking over my mind and I have to resist the urge to tear her to pieces on the spot. I clench my fists so tightly my fingernails pierce the skin and damage the palm.

But I can't hurt her. For now.

"What did I do?" she says sweetly. "Could you please specify?"

Calm down. You can't lash out yet. Calm down. CALM DOWN...

"You tried to fucking kill me," I exhale. "You sent your thugs to sabotage the impact nullifier so the guy with the saw could accidentaly slice my head off. Don't try to deny it since this is exactly your style. You don't like getting your hands dirty."

She stands up and walks towards me, with her hips swaying, her eyes never losing contact with mine. Once again, she's wearing an unzipped jacket, flashing her skin into the night. We met near the arena in Kiev, Ukraine. I didn't participate in it, but I was sure she will be here.

After a long search, I found her in a local park which is usually empty in the dead of night. She wasn't surprised, almost like she was waiting for me.

"What's behind it? Why did you do it?" I pry. "I doubt you tried to kill me just because I refused to sleep with you. But actually, with your ego, I wouldn't be surprised."

"You're the one to talk about ego," she smirks. "Never appearing in public, always wearing a mask. For some reason, I loathe 'Nons. But at least you come to our meeting unmasked," her artificial hands, the model which looks like natural, strokes my face. I shove her hand away.

She sighs theatrically. "Why do you always have to be so rude?"

Wild, vivid images of my hands strangling her neck are racing through my mind. My actual hands are already in motion and I have to use my full focus to stop them. Calm down. Calm down... "I just came for an answer, that's all. I know you tried to kill me. Why?"

She shrugs. "If you mean this, it's nothing personal."

I let a bit of my inner rage to break loose, clenching her neck with my healthy hand and lifting her off the ground. "Nothing personal?!" I shout. "I could have DIED! What the fuck is wrong with you, huh? HUH?!" I shake her in the mid-air. I feel cruel pleasure as she starts to choke.

One squeeze could end it now right now. One squeeze. One snap. The thought is too tempting. That's why I smash her on the ground. She tries to regain her footing, still shook from the impact. She's aware I could kill her at any given moment. And I don't even need thugs and dirty tricks for that.

"Come on," I give her a smile. "If you really want me dead, do it now. Or are you afraid of me? Are you aware I could kill you easily when you don't have an army of henchmen nearby? Are you a coward too big to face me in a fair fight?" Her miserable face fans the rage even further. "Come on, DO IT! Are you too pathetic for that? Just look at yourself. Outside the arena, you are nothing."