Phase 5: Tempest is Born, part 1

"The lowest-grade Neoclash tournamments are Skirmishes held in almost every town rather often. They are suitable for beginners. Third-league tournamments for intermediate and advanced Champions are held in bigger county towns. The best of the best compete in Second-league tournamments held in the capital city of each country for a chance to fight in the European Neoclash Showdown, the main event of the year whose winner will bear the "Champion of Champions" title for the upcoming year."

Brief guide to Neoclash

I haven't seen Odin and the others for so long

I haven't seen Odin and the others for so long. The last time they've seen me was when I left the arena, broken and crying. They probably think I won't come anymore, that I gave up.

Well, giving up isn't exactly my style.

I open the warehouse's door. There is some Neoclash fight going on in the arena since the crowd around it is cheering and holding betting slips. I wait until the fight ends, then approach the crowd and seek Odin. It's easy since he's taller than most of the other people present in the hall.

"Hey, Odin! Over here!" I shout at him.

He looks at me in disbelief. "Zoya...?"

"Yeah, I'm back!" I smile. "If... if you still want me here."

"Of course we do," Odin approaches me. "To be frank, we thought you quit after the Skirmish. We were sorry you didn't give us at least a chance to dissuade you. What happened to you... it's not as uncommon as you may think. We call it 'The first blood syndrome' and it occurs frequently with Castaways who aren't used to violence, especially those who lived in peaceful Tribes."

"So... on a scale one to ten, how much embarassing my performance was?" I ask.

"Ten, but at least you're not in that alone," Scarlet Sparrow joins the conversation. "Besides the ending, you fought pretty well. It was like seeing young me fighting. I taught you my moves well."

"You're a good teacher," I smile at Scarla.

"We have to work so it won't happen again," Odin says.

"Actually... Ryan talked me into taking an Augment," I confess. "That's why I didn't come earlier."

Odin frowns. "I can't say I fully support this step. Augments are a dangerous thing to play with. But I guess that sooner or later, every Champion will take at least one. However, some of them... become addicted. The Augment's effects are noticeable and many Champions just want more. They want to be stronger, faster, sturdier, everything at once. Then they..."

"...start to lose themselves," I finish. "Ryan told me. However, don't worry. After what I've been through, I don't plan taking another Augment any time soon."

"Believe it or not, I took only two Augments throughout my entire carreer," Odin tells me. "I also took the first one at the beginning. It was called The Hammer of Hephaestus and it was a grade 4 Augment which increases physical strength and makes muscle grow easier." He laughs. "I remember feeling miserable for several weeks straight! I missed two important tournamments because of that.