September 18th

Joshua
- 9 months later-

It's been exactly 9 months since I got shot and found out Valentina was pregnant. During that time those guys that were in our house got caught and thrown in jail. I told Valentina that I didn't know them but it was Bradley and another one of his friends. I know I should've told her and I was going to but then she ended pregnant, making her worry would worsen the chance of a healthy birth.

We moved again for the last time, now we live in a well populated community in the city, closer to the company but I've been working from home ever since to stay with Valentina. And lastly Valentina's mother finally died. I don't mean to be rude but it took a while for her to finally leave us alone.

On the bright side Valentina has been spending more time with her brother and Kenny has an uncle to play with.

But now everything is perfect. I remarried my beautiful pregnant wife and Kenny proudly calls me his dad. She's so beautiful. Everything about her. Her skin, hair, eyes, butt, stomach, I can't get over her. I'm completely and utterly all over her, still. Our baby is supposed to be coming September 19th. We don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet Valentina wanted it to be a surprise.

"You got your bag packed?" I asked.

"Yup" she placed it by the door. The baby is supposed to come tomorrow and we are preparing to head to the hospital in a couple of hours so she can already be at there when the baby comes.

"I'm so hungry" she walked in the kitchen and grabbed the cake off the counter. It was my birthday yesterday and Valentina made me a huge cake. She decorated the whole house and threw me a wonderful surprise party, all my family and good friends were there.

"You've eaten that whole cake by yourself" I joked.

"I'm feeding two" she laughed. "And it's so good I can't stop eating it"

"How do you feel? Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be, are you?" She smiled.

"I'm more than ready"

"You're gonna be a dad again"

"Yea" I am gonna be a dad again and I'm going to do it right this time.

"Make sure someone picks up Kenny from school so he doesn't get on the bus"

"Okay" I grabbed my phone and quickly texted Nate.

Valentina grabbed her stomach and walked away from me. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing" she strained.

"Something's wrong" I insisted.

"No no I'm okay the baby's just kicking"

I watched her closely as she continued to wince in pain.

"What can I do?"

"Go get the car keys"

"Why?" I asked confused.

"My water just broke, the baby's coming"

"What, now?" I half-yelled.

"Now" she winced. "Call an ambulance"

I helped Valentina to the couch and dialed 911.

"911 what's your emergency?" It was a woman on the phone.

"Hi, um my wife's water broke"

"Please hold"

"What?" I asked. "She put me on hold"

"Call Nate" she said as she took her pants off.
I hung up and called Nate. "Yes sir" he answered right away.

"Valentina's water broke"

"I'm down the street"

I held Valentina's hand as she started breathing harder.

"What can I do?" I asked her.

"You can calm down"

The door bell rang and I ran to open it. Nate came inside and walked into the living room.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her.

"I'm doing okay, I think Joshua's freaking out"

He chuckled. "He'll be fine. Are the ambulance on their way?"

"They put him on hold"

"Then there's a good chance they aren't coming" Nate looked at me. "We have to do this on our own"

"I don't know how to do that"

"I've done it tons of times before" I forgot he used to be a nurse. "I need you to go get towels"

I turned and ran into the upstairs bathroom grabbing every towel I could. As I tried to hurry out I slipped on the rug and hit my head on the counter of the sink.

I quickly jumped up and headed back downstairs. Valentina was leaning against the couch with a blanket over her lap.

"Lay those down" Nate told me.

I spread the towels all over the place held Valentina.

"Oh my gosh" she looked at me. "What happened to your head?"

"It's okay I'm fine"

Valentina yelled in pain as her contractions got closer.

"Does it hurt?" I stupidly asked.

She looked at me and smiled through her pain. "Not at all" she said sarcastically.

"Okay Valentina your contractions are getting closer, the baby will be coming soon"

"Oh" she groaned and put her head back.

"It's okay, we've been to the classes and plus you've done this before"

"You're not helping" she squeezed my hand.

"I'm sorry. Breath"

I showed her how to breath and she copied me. She closed her eyes and pushed.

"Try not to push yet Valentina, the babies head isn't crowning yet" Nate said.

"Keep breathing" I reminded her. She bit her lip and breathed deeply.

"Almost there Valentina, you're doing great. Get ready to push when I tell you"

She closed her eyes and kept breathing. I tried to think of something to say but my mind was going blank.

"Remember the first time I asked you to marry me?" She nodded. "John told me to do it the way I did"

"Joshua what are you getting at?"

"I don't know I'm just tying to distract you"

"Try harder" she cried in pain and squeezed my hand harder. "I can't do it" her terrified eyes looked into mine.

"Yes you can you're strong, way stronger than me"

"Am I?" She looked into eyes.

"Yes" I kissed her forehead and she closed her eyes. Nate told her to start pushing and she pushed.

She grabbed my hand as she sat there in pain for over an hour. Pushing then stopping and starting again. Finally Nate sighed and said "You did it"

"Oh my God"

"Cut the cord" I grabbed the scissors and cut it. The baby cried as Nate wrapped her up in a towel and handed her to Valentina.

"I'll call an ambulance" he stood and walked off into the kitchen.

"It's a girl" she smiled.

"She looks just like you" the baby stopped crying and moved around.

I kissed Valentina as she began to cry. I can't believe this is my life now. This is my family.