Forgiven

It took us four hours to get to the beach and by the time we arrived it was cold out.

We brought all of our things into the hotel room and chilled for about an hour until Kenny wanted to go play with the sand.

While Kenny ran around Bradley and I talked. I learned that he has five older siblings and strict mean parents.

Although he told me basically about his whole life he wouldn't tell me where we worked. Which I thought was odd.

"What about you? What's your family like?"

I thought for a while. Do I need to tell him the truth? That my mother was mean to me as a child, that I don't really know my dad and that I don't have any other relatives?

"Um they're nice. We get together every Christmas and be happy" I said.

"That's it?" He chuckled. "No siblings?"

"Nope"

"Well what's your mom like?"

"She's nice" I said politely.

"Only that?"

"You know, I really don't want to talk about it" I pulled my knees close to my chest. "Why are you so different from Michael?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he's so, uptight and rude and... mean. Then you're all nice and stuff"

"Well he used to get in trouble a lot and our parents used to beat him"

"Only him?" I asked slowly.

He took a sharp deep breath and looked towards me. "Mostly him"

Micheal get his rude demeanor from his hard childhood but where does Bradley come into this? There must be another side to Bradley, there's no way he can be this nice all the time.  There has to be something that hits his nerve.

I turned my attention to Kenny and watched as he tried to make piles with the sand. "Would you ever get married again?" Bradley asked.

"I don't know if I can"

"Why not?"

"I'm still technically married to Joshua"

"How?"

"He wouldn't sign the divorce papers after I already signed them, so we're just separated"

"That's terrible"

I shrugged. "I think it's a sign"

"That you two should get back together?" He asked sadly.

"No way" I shook my head. "I think it's a sign that I should let him be a father to Kenny"

"No" he said a little to quickly. "Don't you think you should think about it a little longer?" He laughed nervously. "I mean he... came to my house last night he threatened me, I told you that didn't I?!" He said frantically.

I looked at him "Y- yes you did but-"

"And that should be enough" he cut me off. "He's a bad guy who doesn't care about you"

"You don't know as much as you think you do about Joshua. He regrets what he did he wants to change"

"Valentina!" he said loudly. "Why are you doing this? Why are you letting him back in?"

"I have a child with him! What am I supposed to do keep him from Kenny forever?"

"No I just think-"

"I don't care what you think, Kenny is my son not yours and you don't have any say in what happens in his life"

"Then why did you bring me here?" He asked.