I Can't Leave

I rubbed Kenny's back as I watched Joshua sleep. He got out of surgery a couple hours ago and he's been sleeping since.

His parents are in the hallway talking to the doctor, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't want the doctor to tell me something I didn't want to hear, plus Kenny is fast asleep on my lap and I'm comfortable so I don't feel like moving.

When Jess and Jasper first came, they asked me why I wasn't crying. Jess got angry with me and said that I didn't love Joshua because I wasn't crying.

I ignored her. Her apology was crap, she's not really sorry she just hates me and I'm okay with that.

Speaking of the devil, she came into the room and Jasper followed closely behind her. "Please Valentina Tell me one more time what happened"

I explained to her everything that happened twice already but she wants me to go over again for some, odd reason. Maybe she wants to see if I'll change my story, she probably thinks I did this to him somehow.

"I already told you Jess" I said quietly. I didn't look her in the eyes. I stared at Joshua's hand, waiting for it to move.

"Please I need to hear it again"

I sighed and started to tell her, again, what happened.

"I got home from work, told Kenny to take a bath, went to the bedroom and I thought he was... sleeping on the bed, because he there, I thought he was there. Then I went into the kitchen and talked to Kenny for a while because he always stalls before bath time. Then he Kenny went back in the bathroom and Joshua came out of the room"

"But it wasn't Joshua" Jasper said.

"Correct. I spoke to him but he kept his head down and didn't speak"

"You didn't see his face?" Jess asked.

"No" I looked at her. "He has a hoodie on and I thought it was Joshua being mad at me. Then my phone rang, because it was in the bathroom"

"How did your phone get in the bathroom?" She asked.

"I put it in there when I took Kenny to take a bath"

"You didn't say that" She scoffed.

"Well that's what happened" I got loud.

"Keep going, sweetheart" Jasper said.

"I picked up my phone and Joshua was on the line. He said he was on his way home and that's when I closed the door and climbed out the window with Kenny"

Jess sighed and walked to the window.

We sat there in silence until Kenny woke up and touched my face. "I'm hungry, mama"

I nodded and stood up, with him in my arms.

"I can take him" Jess walked closer.

"That's okay"

"You need some rest, darling, please" she reached her arms out.

I looked at Kenny and he nodded.

"Eat everything" I planted kisses all over his face and neck.

He laughed and squirmed in my arms until I put him down, grabbing his grandmothers hand, he dragged Jess out of the room.

He's such a sweet boy, I don't know what I'd do without him. I don't even know what I've done to have gotten a beautiful baby boy like him.