The Most Wonderful Time

I felt something heavy pounding on my chest and a faint noise. When I opened my eyes I saw Kenny smiling down at me.

"Mommy, mommy, wake up"

I opened my eyes and saw Kenny's little face over mine.

"Mama" he groaned. "Santa came"

I smiled and sat up, wiping my eyes. I looked over at Joshua still knocked out and checked the time on my phone.

"It's six in the morning Ken, lets wait until it's a little later"

"I'm too happy to sleep mommy"

"Come on" I pulled the covers back and he climbed in. I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed his forehead. "Close your eyes" I said.

"I can't wait to open my presents" he breathed in my face. He kept talking but I tuned out after a while because I fell asleep.

-
When I woke up I felt around and didn't feel Kenny or Joshua next to me. I yawned and stretched and checked the time again. 10:30.

"Kenny" I called sleepily. I got up and smelled food burning. I put on my robe and walked down the hall.

"What's going on?" I asked the two boys messing around in the kitchen.

Kenny was waving a pillow around while Joshua was messing with something in the sink.

"What happened in here?" I asked.

"We tried to make you breakfast" Joshua said.

I laughed and walked over to him. "You can't cook?" I asked as I looked down in the sink at burnt food.

"I can too" he laughed. "Just not breakfast food"

"You crazy kids almost burned the house down" I put my hands on my hips.

"Sorry mommy" Kenny smiled.

"It's okay babe" I picked Kenny up and hugged him. "I'm not hungry anyway, I want to see you open your gifts"

I walked into the living room and put him down by the presents. I sat down on the couch next to Joshua and he handed me a cup of coffee.

I sipped it and looked at him. "You make wonderful coffee" I said to Joshua. He chuckled and kissed my cheek.

"My mom wants to have dinner later today and she wants to see Kenny open his gifts"

"What?" I said disappointed. "He has to wait?"

Kenny started ripping off the wrapping paper quickly as soon as he heard me say that.

"Wait Kenny" Joshua told him. "We're going to open these when grandma gets here"

"Aww but mommy" Kenny looked at me.

"He can open his presents now"

"Valentina"

"Your mom cannot override my authority, he's my son"

"Why are you two butting heads? I thought you liked each other"

I looked at him for a while then I looked at Kenny. "Open just a few then we'll wait for grandma"

"I don't want to open any" he played with his fingers and walked away.

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee.