"Portents"

The former archivist and his wife were willing to travel with Lauren Cooper.

They delayed the trip for nearly two weeks.

The archivist's brother-in-law had recently married and had not been seen outside for nearly two weeks. A simple greeting from behind a door satisfied the issue.

"Thank You for checking dear sister. Everything here is absolutely fine."

The elders of "Civilization's Edge' were still providing conflicting advice and encouraging delays.

Lauren simple decided that the problem would not be solved here.

They started and got two days away when the archivist's wife was contacted by his bond deity. They ordered him to head back to "Civilization's Edge".

So, Lauren Cooper and her husband continue the trip on their own.

The road is dry and gravelly. Small farms are visible but well away from the road.

One dusky evening, a group of travelers in hooded cloaks joins and walks with them. One of the hooded figures speaks to Lauren (quickly Lauren realizes it is the small woman that tried to detain her in the hills)

"Please listen. You are in terrible danger. Walk with me to these hills and we can make you safe. I would be more forceful, but we are truly in inside an area of deific civilization. Please. I will walk off from the rest. You should follow me."

Lauren only draws near to her husband and the group of cloaked walkers moves nonchalantly away.

The next day, it surprise Lauren to see a rank of armed and armored women trotting in the opposite direction.

When Lauren and her husband get to the city, she is shocked at the large area and tall buildings devoted to government and order.

They wait a long time. Then get a curious welcome.

"You are here? Hmm. Troops were dispatched, two days ago, to bring you here for questions. Please come this way."