"Kindness in Obscurity"

Something happened when I put her down on the ground. I became unconscious.

Hundreds of years as a vampire in the coffin, I never once had anything like sleep or unconsciousness.

When I regained consciousness, the little girl was gone.

I sensed the vile creature heading towards me.

I got up and looked around. Small foot prints headed in that direction.

I stumble widely in a panic.

But I get a clear shock. The dark and vile creature brings forward the child and drops her gently.

We rush towards each other, and the dark creature backs far away.

When we get close, the girl runs into my waiting arms. I am knocked onto my back.

Still in pain and also dizzy, but happy to have the girl back.

She hugs me and asks why I am cold.

She encourages me to concentrate and glow again.

It is a wonderful thing. I make sure the warmth is centered on making her comfortable.

Lovely, but I get dizzy again.

My eyes become watery. I fall onto my side again.

With what happens next, I am not sure if not seeing clearly was a loss or kindness.

The girl collapses into dirt and soil again. I feel some of the soil bounce against me.

The unconsciousness that follows comes as a kindness.