Close Bonds

**just a Glimpse of the new story I am writing. Do check out 'A Song For You'**

Samaira's POV

I woke up with a start when suddenly I feel the weight on the right side of my bed. I turn in my sleep and see the silhouette of Josh a foot away from me. It's still relatively dark in the room. I had slept very uneasily after spending hours tossing and turning. He was mad at me, and I didn't like it. Then I thought of Veer and my parents. I kept worrying about Mohan meeting them until I fell asleep.

I look at Josh, his eyes on me, conflicted. I still am not sure of what I should say. He is somebody to me. I can't put a pin on it. Because his presence has warmed my heart. He matters a lot. It is the truth, I accepted that last night. I gulp and slowly inch towards him.

He comes in my space in a flash and snakes his arms around me. I reel in the sensation of the heat of his body and his feelings. To my surprise, the touch already feels familiar. The contact that was missing for a long time.

"I am sorry," he murmurs in my ear.

"Don't be," I say in response.

"No, Mey. I should have understood you," he counters.

I don't know what to say. There was no way he could have understood. Because I kept the truth from him. Then again I didn't think that we would have something between us.

"I can't stop myself from asking you this," he pauses and stares in my eyes. "How... Why ...that man?"

"It's a long story," I sigh. "A miserable one."

"I want to know. I have to comfort you," Josh says earnestly.

"I will tell you another time," I reply. "Just stay here, alright?"

He smiles a secret smile. "You don't know just how much I want to stay here!"

I grin back. "Good night!"

"Just one more thing before Good night," he says darkly and kisses me for minutes.

The heady scent and feel of Josh Hudson are too much for me. Though, it is this time I have with him. And I am going to take it wholeheartedly.

After a long time in forever, I sleep peacefully.

***

When I wake the next day, following my alarm, I feel Josh lips on my neck. The light touch of his lips tingles my nape, even though he sleeps on.

"Josh, wake up!" I say turning around to face him.

"Why?" he groans.

"Because Kamala and Hari will come soon. You need to go back to your own bed," I whine.

"Why do you guys have so much of rules? Why can't we be ourselves..." he mumbles with eyes closed.

"Stop arguing and leave already," I say in a more firm voice.

"Not before I kiss you good morning," he advances just a bit, opening his eyes. He keeps his word and kisses me before I could get away from him. The way his firm lips mould mine is reminded me of yesterday night under the quiet night sky, my first kiss with Josh, the magician.

I get ready after pushing him out of my room. Right on time, the bell rings signalling Kamala's arrival. When I open the door, I am surprised to find my parents and Veer in front of me.

"Aai, Veer, what are you doing here so early in the morning?" I ask, letting them inside.

Veer quickly throws himself in my arms as I reach down to him. "Mumma, I missed you," he says.

"I missed you too, baby!" I say and hug him tightly.

"Close the door," my mother says, in a troubled voice.

I do her bidding and guess what must have happened. "Mohan?" I ask her.

This time my papa is the one who answers. "He came home last night. Not drunk for a change. But he was angrier than usual. He said so many vile things about you. We didn't open the door. We knew he would surely take Veer with him."

"Thank God! Veer...did he listens to that?" I query, concerned. Veer meanwhile went inside and out of sight.

"No, Veer was sleeping in your bedroom... Did he come here too?" my father questions.

I nod sighing.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" he probes keeping his hand on my shoulder.

"No..." I stop short. "He couldn't."

Before I can respond to his pinched eyebrows, I realise another presence in the room. Josh walks down the steps. I can smell the lemon soap smell from ten feet apart. He is bathed, and his wet hair is tousled.

"Josh..." I breathe.

"Good morning!" he greets and smiles at my parents.

"Aai, papa, he is the guest in this house. Josh Hudson." I introduce a little awkwardly.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs Rao," Josh says and shakes their hand. Both don't seem to cover their astonishment. Nevertheless, they smile back looking back and fro.

"Likewise," my papa manages to respond. "Somi, I thought you were here alone."

"Long story," I reply. "Won't you come inside and sit first."

He purses his lips but complies. Aai throws me a questioning look, which I only acknowledge. Once we sit in the living room, I open my mouth to tell the short version of Josh Hudson story. Papa looks clearly troubled and couldn't help ask if Josh is looking for alternative accommodation.

"Mr Rao, currently my contact at home is missing...Vacationing with his family. So I don't have the financial resources at my disposal. The lack of any other option I am staying here. My room is the far side of your daughters'. You don't need to worry," he says warmly.

"Of course. Of course," My father replies. A little taken aback with Josh's bluntness. "Maybe Somi, you could stay at our house and work in the daytime here."

"Papa!" I cried. "I am very comfortable here. Besides, you know the road. I don't want to travel daily on those deathly roads."

"Fine," he sounds resigned.

An awkward moment passes. "Okay, I will leave you guys alone. It was nice meeting you both," Josh smiles and gets up to leave.

Once he is out of sight, my mom jumps in and suggests very vehemently to come and stay with them. "What if Mohan again comes here?" she continues.

"Don't worry, Aai. This place is safe as much as our home. Plus Josh is around," I say and tells them what had happened at night. Of course, I omit the part where Josh was mad at me and how we slept in the same bed later in the night.

"Somi, why to take any risk?" she pleaded.

"Let's not talk about Mohan," I insisted. "We need to practice caution when we would be dealing with him. Meanwhile, It's best if I apprise Mohan's situation to the local police."

Both of them nod in unison. Papa edges further in his seat. "You know I can talk with our DC, Yadav Sahab. He has been helpful in the past."

"Okay! That would lessen our insecurity," I agree.

As we deliberated our thoughts, Veer came hopping back in the living room. "Mumma, can I go and play with Josh?" he said in a chirpy tone and stood in front of me.

"Josh?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes, Mumma. Duh... He is living with you, isn't he?" he says in a shocked tone.

"Of course, I know who he is," I say and do not dare to look at my parents. "He is going to work in his room. Don't disturb him."

"But Mumma. He is the who asked me to play with him. Puhleeezzz?" he pouts.

I can't resist giving him a wet kiss on both of his cheeks. God, I love this kid in the whole world. "Not for long," I warn and release him from my arms.

Later when I sneaked into Josh's newly done recording room, I felt my heart full from seeing Josh teaching Veer guitar. If only this could last forever.