Ghost from the recent past

The insights into the Kar family's history gave birth to a new curiosity in me. I was certain that the story of Vikram's family did not end there. I wanted to explore more about it. However, the time and place were not right. At the same time, I could not help but ask an important question.

"What about their fortune? I mean Mr Vikram and his family?"

"What do you mean?" asked Harshit, his brows knitting.

"How was their monetary situation after the Kar Textiles was sold out?"

"Of course, they were bailed out with the insurance money. Therefore, even if the business was gone, they could leave a comfortable life. In fact, Mr Vikram could do his studies from Cambridge University like his uncle, without any hassles," he pointed. "Whatever said and done between the two brothers, Mr Kar always felt a parental love towards Mr Vikram. He always gave him the guidance and he absorbed every word it."

"How do you know so much about the family?" I queried.

He laughed and looked at me and said, "Trisha, I know the history of the Kar family and their businesses from my father's time. My father worked for Mr Abhiman Kar, Aayan's Grandfather."

"That explains," I nodded and moved towards the other photographs. There were several pictures from the various events at SpeedEx like the office inaugurations, new model inaugurations, visits from foreign officials, and so on. I noticed that Vikram was with his uncle in a lot of photos, like his shadow. It was evident that Mr Kar had invested his trust in him.

A plaque below one of the photographs read Akash Kar with his nephew, Vikram Kar, at the launch of SpeedExter.

This picture was obviously from the launch of the very hyped SUV segment model, SpeedExter. It was from the year Akash Kar had died. He looked ill and sunken. On the other hand, Vikram was in the lead, in his prime and ready to conquer.

"He was the one who conceptualized the design of that model, it was his dream project," Harshit informed, his eyes studying the picture.

"But the model failed. According to company data, the sales of SpeedExter very really high in the first year after its launch. But the sales dropped drastically in the second year, so much that the production had to be shut down," I said remembering the reports on the SpeedExter model. 

"There was a huge gap in what was promised and what was delivered. The model had very basic flaws in its ignition system and complaints started coming after about eight months after the launch. And then there was one incident in which the engine caught fire and the driver died instantly," Harshit continued.

I could only stare in disbelief. I did not know about the incident, though I had read up all the history of SpeedEx designs. "That must have caused a great uproar among the public!" I exclaimed.

"Oh no. Mr Vikram somehow managed to cover the incident. The news that went out was completely different," he paused to loosen his tie.

"Mr Akash Kar looks ill in this picture," I stated averting my gaze from him.

"Yes. He died that year," he mumbled grimly.

I moved on to a series of pictures of the men from the Kar family, all of them huge portraits. The first one was Aayan's grandfather, Mr Abhiman Kar. He looked royal, with a prominent mustache and a narrow beard, dressed in a Jodhpur suit. The next one was of a young Mr Akash Kar, dressed in a finely tailored suit with a blue tie. The last portrait was of Aayan.

I sucked in a long breath as I gazed at his face. He looked so damn handsome in his Armani suit. He looked younger; the portrait was maybe from when he joined the business after coming back from the US. He was standing in front of a huge SpeedEx logo, pride reflecting in his eyes. Harshit murmured something and left, but I did not even spare him a glance. My eyes were already dreamy. I could not stop myself from touching the portrait. Oh, how I wished he was here by my side right now. This is my man! No... Was my man. I have lost him.

"Checking me out, are you?" I froze in my spot, afraid to turn around. I was definitely hallucinating. I looked down and waited for the dream to end.

"Trisha," Aayan rolled my name on his tongue and I felt Goosebumps all over my body.

I turned slowly, to meet his eyes. I looked at the familiar green eyes, and I lost my contour. Tears welled up in my eyes, my hands yearning to touch him. The look in his eyes made my bones go weak. All I wanted was to fall into his arms and cry my heart out.

"What are you doing here?" I mumbled, clumsily wiping the tears away.

"Business," he answered in a clipped tone. The playfulness, the warmth in his expression was absent.

"Oh." I looked down trying to compose myself. "I am here for my training," I explained, not knowing what else to say.

"I know," he cocked his head to one side, gauging me.

Silence. What next? Why does this have to be so awkward? Is he here to see me? I shook my head unconsciously fighting my thoughts. He must miss me as I miss him.

Shit! It does not matter anyway. That story is over now. Why think about it? I would only have to let that go and move on. I kept thinking. Why was it getting so freaking hard? I wished I could clean my slate just like that but I knew it was not that easy. Definitely not now, when is looking at me that way. Why are my palms sweating? Why is he making me so nervous?

"How are you?" I asked in a barely audible voice.

"Fine. Never been better," he told with an apparent sarcastic tone that cut my heart in two!

"Good." I paused and took a long breath in my oxygen-deprived lungs. 'I missed you,' I confessed in my head, as it was hard to say it. Instead, I mumbled something, which sounded like, "I will take your leave." I moved past him. My arm grazed against his and a current passed between us, which made me halt for a second. Without glancing back, however, I made it to the door of the room.

***

The rest of the day was painful as I tried to figure out why Aayan was there. This was getting more and more frustrating. After coming back to the hotel, I was exhausted, mostly mentally though. For the next half an hour, I was in the shower, the water trying to wash my wariness. Later I put on the bathrobe and wrapped a towel over my wet hair.

I was still in the bathroom when I heard a knock on the door. I called out 'come in' and went about with drying my hair. I had ordered my dinner in the room itself, not wanting to go down to the restaurant. I stopped and strained my ears to hear the sound of the door opening and closing one more time, assuming the service butler should be leaving. However, there was no sound. I came out adjusting my robe but stopped at the door of the bathroom in shock.

"Hey," said Aayan, his white shirt rolled up to the sleeves and casual blue jeans.

What? He is here. He is in front of me! Why has he come to my room? Oh yes, he misses me. Maybe. Or not.

"Do you have a habit of coming unannounced in a girl's hotel room?" I asked bravely, completely aware of his gaze on me as if he could see everything underneath the robe. It took all my energy to not flinch.

"I knocked," he said taking small steps towards me.

"I thought it was room service," I muttered in my mouth.

"That was very irresponsible of you then," he inched closer to me.

"I guess you are right," I murmured holding his gaze. I took a step back, ramming into the chest of drawers behind me.

In one stride, he closed the distance between us and slammed his lips over mine. One hand snaked around my neck, holding it firmly. He kissed me with a raw intensity, maddening my senses. I was jelly-legged. He picked me up and placed me on the top of the waist-high chest. My legs engulfed his waist, as I let go of my inhibitions. He was almost bruising my lips by biting it with punishing force. I was responding to that punishment by biting his lips. It was like a battle. I was warmed up to an intensity I had never felt before. It was like rains coming after a long drought spell. As if I was waiting for this for eternity. Finally, he was in my arms, surrendering to me. He was mine.

**Click on the next chapter to find out about Aayan's Part of the story! And Importantly if you are enjoying Aayan & Trisha, Don't forget to vote. It makes a difference!**