The Vicious Consequences

**Dedicated to @Kimayaa** 

The whole room went quiet as Mrs. Kar started her speech. She welcomed the guests and told them that they were here for our engagement. There was a uniform chatter amongst the crowd after that. It was a confirmation to the whole months' long speculation on our relationship status. Without stating the purpose, we had sent the invitations.

The next few minutes I was oblivious to the photographs taking pictures at maddening pace, applaud from the people. I was seeing only Aayan's golden green depths, the love for me in his eyes, the happiness we both given to each other at this very moment, promising the life together. I was indeed on cloud nine.

The fearless and overwhelmed look on his face when he put the ring on my finger brought me home. My eyes widened as I admired the stone on my fingers. It belonged there. He hugged me tightly in his arms as the cloud cheered on. My eyes went to the man behind the man in the drapes. He had disappeared.

The relief flooded me. I could enjoy the next moments in utmost joy. The happiness reflecting in both of the families and my friends was priceless. They cheered and hugged us with full spirit.

We spent another half an hour meeting the guests. We introduced me to his counterparts, his friends and showed him off his greatest treasure. While on the inside, my worry somewhat diminished. Then again, I needed to call Daniel and let him dig out about the pharmacy person.

After a while, I excused myself to go to the washroom. As I entered the privacy of the booth, I called Daniel.

"Hi! Daniel! You got a minute?" I asked breathlessly.

"Yes. Ms. Trisha. Tell me."

"Daniel, find out what Vikram bought from a particular pharmacy owned by Mr. Hiralal Thingal. T-H-I-N-G-A-L. Got it?" I asked impatiently.

"But that's difficult. Usually in a bank transaction, there are no details of the bills." He countered my remark.

"Just find the damn file which might contain a name Hiralal sound, we might get some email or a word file, or I don't know! You are the expert. You tell me!" The desperation in my tone was more evident as I realized how close I was on finding the truth.

"Ms. Trisha, I will see. I can't promise. Don't get your hopes up!" he spoke confidently on the other line.

"Fine! Give it your best shot. Please!" I cut the call and stared at the screen. Few heads turned in my direction as I spoke the last lines loudly. I had to go through the pleasantries for another five minutes when I finally excused myself again.

Meanwhile, I checked his Pharmacy on Google. There I found his web page. I read the description.

We have three shops in... blah blah blah... We provide whole range of medicines... blah blah blah... deals with prescription psychological drugs.

Hold on! Psychological?

"Yes!" I hissed. "That must be it!" It had to be some depressant or stimulant to affect the thinking ability of the person coupled with the dependency on the drugs itself. I thought of the possibility again.

"But can he kill with it?" I muttered. "If taken in excess! But then it should show on the body."

From what I remembered, the news items wherein many celebrities killed by overdose of drugs that it was easy to detect. Then how Vikram could have done it without the dead body showing signs of the same. There was something missing. What did you use, Vikram? How did you manage?

"Trisha?" Mrs. Kar voice echoed through the washroom.

"I am here. Coming out!" I called out and hastily stepped outside.