Silence Before The Storm

Exhausted mentally, I thought of taking a break. I changed into flared yellow sundress for some sightseeing. As I expected, Robin was in the lobby, doing nothing but staring at the lift. He did not even return my awkward smile. 

He was up in a flash and followed me outside the hotel.

"I will call the driver," he said pulling his phone from his suit jacket as we stopped at the foyer of the building.

"You know, on second thoughts, I would like to see Buckingham's palace and Hyde Park first. So need to call him just now. I prefer walking," I suggested, in an ordering tone somewhat imitating Aayan's.

He looked confused. Later his huge form recovered and nodded.

"Alright, Ms. Ray. Please be at my side at all times," he said while glancing around the morning bustling of cars and pedestrians.

"Your boss seems strict!" I teased. "You seem to be under his strict instructions!"

"Ms. Ray, he has his reasons for it, believe me," he hinted looking sideways at me for a fraction of seconds before continuing with his crowd penetrating gaze at all directions.

I looked at him suspiciously, thought in my mind, why was Aayan being so extra protective. I let my thoughts dwell on that for further minutes, meanwhile making my way on the labyrinths of stone pavements towards the Buckingham's Palace gardens. Small children were playing discs with their parents, drowning in their own world.

As I walked on the constitution road, on the either way was the dark boulevard of sunbathed trees. Even though this was in the heart of London, still the traffic seemed very moderate. I remembered Mumbai roads and winced, so narrow, and crowded with pedestrians and cars, occasionally animals.

"Robin, how long have you been working with Aayan?" I asked as we strolled towards the white palace.

"I have known Mr. Kar since maybe ten years now. But I work for Security Company here in London," he answered without looking at me. "Whenever he comes here, or Miss Riya, he informs me."

"Okay. You must know Mr. Akash Kar too then?" I asked, intrigued.

"Yes. I was acquainted with Mr. Akash for few years," he smiled as if he remembered something. "He was really an honourable man." This time, his expression turned grim.

I looked at him questioningly.

"There are very few people really influence your life, he was one of them," he said, thinking a bit.

"I have heard a great deal about him," I smiled, crossing the road to the right side. He held his hand at the small of my back protectively leading me to the other side.

"Mr. Aayan is a reflection of him, though he doesn't admit it," he offered his curved smile. Wow, who knew this man can be so approachable!

"You think so?" I asked.

"Oh yes, always. The dreams, the perseverance, and a vision to grow. But Mr. Aayan can be little impatient, maybe that is his age."

I could see now the huge monument stood at my right side with a beautiful Victorian statue at the front.

"Not to worry! I have the tickets," he offered, gauging my reaction. He then led me to the palace. He explained the history of the site. The grand staircase, the throne room, the white ballroom, the blue room, all was beyond anything I have ever seen. At the grand staircase, I could actually imagine the debutante walking and curtsying to their coming out ceremonies. The gold pattern on the side grill and the walls were perfectly matching. The big portraits of royalty stood out from the regency styled facades.