Testing of Fate

I shivered as I eyed the man in the suit with his gun. My fluttering eyes moved back and forth between Aayan and that man. Aayan looked as if I was fainting. Perhaps, I was fainting. I breathed in some more. Focus Trisha!

"Trisha, are you okay? You look pale!" He whispered coming closer to me, surrounding his one arm against my shoulders in a protective form.

"I need some water. I didn't have lunch. Maybe that's why!" I mumbled.

Seconds later, Amit brought a bottle of water, which I drank in one go. I regained some strength.

"Feeling better?" he asked.

I nodded, putting a fake smile on my face. "I am ready."

He smiled and sat beside me. While her mom came forward with a silver thali in her hands carrying clothes, gifts, and jewellery to offer me. I accepted and touched her feet in respect.

"God bless you! And I hope you forgive me for judging you too quickly," she said, leaning forward.

"Please don't embarrass me, Mrs. Kar," I mumbled back and thought, 'I am going to prove her right!'

"Call me Mumma. You are now a family," she said putting the thali on the side table.

Meanwhile, my mom was putting a tilak and blessing Aayan. My brother talked animatedly to his future brother-in-law. Shweta and Riya were outside the hearing range from us, talking among themselves.

His mom, then, leaned closer and pretended to fix my hair. She contemplated something in her mind.

"They are empty threats, Trisha. Believe me," she barely whispered, hardly moving her mouth, her hands worked on my hair. What did she intend to say? Did she know about Vikram?

I opened my mouth and closed again. Then quickly ran a swift glance at the man in the suit, he still held the gun. I looked quizzically at her. Empty threats!

"Don't look so puzzled. I knew Vikram all through the core. There is no way he could have brought a gun into military kind security arrangements. It must be fake," she paused, looking into my eyes. "It's my guess. Nonetheless, don't act like his puppet. He cannot harm any of us. He can't possibly kill in public, even with his men. I don't think he will jeopardize what he earned until now for this. Well not at least at this place and in front of hundreds of people. So even if we assume that the gun is real, there is no way he could act on it." She spoke every word so slowly.

"Why didn't you tell Aayan?" I demanded.

She looked at me as if it was obvious. "The same reason you have hidden it from him. I want to protect my boy. I have already lost my husband years ago."

"What do you want me to do?" I asked shuffling my bangles, pretending to adjust it. "And don't say that I should not reject and run away from here. Why on earth do you want to take that chance?"

"Because I know for certain, that he will not lay on the line what he had already accomplished. He is only trying to manipulate you." Her green eyes bored into me with intensity and wisdom.

"How do you know so much about him and me?" I could not help but ask her. My attention was only on her beautiful face, as she looked unfazed.

"Not now," she murmured, finally moving my straight hair strands on the back. "You look lovely."

I was shocked that she knew about Vikram. Who could have guessed? According to the entry in the diary of her husband, she had found out about the Puzzle Box. She must have kept a tab on Vikram all along. But the damn man was so sleazy to leave any loose ends of his wrongdoings. He had been very calculative of the steps, planning his every move. How could she know that Vikram was indeed playing me? Or even why was I afraid? Did Riya tell her? No, she would not! Then how this woman could know about us? Then my gaze went to the man, and his eyes were indeed in my direction. I will have to ask Mrs. Kar later.

Now I had to decide what I had to do. Should I take my chance? Or just ignore a man with a gun? Should I believe in Aayan's mom? The sweat was making me cold now. I closed my eyes in despair, and just imagined happy times to calm myself. It took me back in the times, when papa was alive. His warmness was suddenly keeping me afloat. Then, I imagined him speaking to me, sitting by my side, engulfing me in one arm.

Trisha, face that demon head on! Don't back away because of his threats! You are a strong girl!

My girl! I am there for you, beta!

He is there for you!

Don't fear my child...

And I felt like the dense clouds vanished from the sky to let out the sun rays to bathe the mother earth. A light was born within me, a light of hope. Hope that was going to save my loved ones, my Aayan!

If the shot would fire, I would be his shield protecting him, not hiding away, and being his puppet. I glanced at Aayan and smiled brightly at him. My fear died out.

eY7

**This update is to ease your worry, you guys! I hope you liked the surprise. I know, right! Aayan's mom! So please share with me your thoughts on the testing, no more like the twisting of fate. I am anxiously waiting! 

And this doesn't mean the end. You still have to face my tormenting story twists!! Well, not anything major. But a little bit of action, I might say!

Until then Shower Leap of faith with your love. Don't hesitate to vote. Your each vote is precious for me..!**