Down with the Devil

* VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE!! Picture of Vikram*

The night chill brought me shudders as I sat on the terrace of my building with my messed up mind. It was my solace, the spot there. I loved the solitude in the midst of millions of people. There I was trying to find meaning out of incoherent thoughts. I remembered every glance people threw at me, judging me ruthlessly. All of a sudden, I was thrown into a spotlight, inflicting humiliation of a severe nature. It was my character in question.

My phone ring started to vibrate again. I knew, this time, it would be my mom. I took a long and deep breath. I repeated to myself that I had to abide by the truth and be myself.

"Trisha, are you okay sweetie?" Mom's voice was trembling slightly.

"Mom..." I sobbed realizing that I would not have to be strong in front of my mom. I could be vulnerable; she would support me no matter what.

"Should I come to Mumbai? Maybe right now? I heard it just now. My baby will need me," she said in a worried tone.

"I know you are worrying. But I have to face the consequences of my actions." I said collecting myself.

"True and selfless love is very rare, darling. That man was not worth yours. What happened to my Trish? She is better than this."

"I know mom! However, everything between us was real. At least it felt better than real. Though it came down to me that it was never meant to be."

"Please tell me from the start. I want to know," she pleaded, wanting to comfort me and give me an ear.

"Not now mom, I promise I will tell you everything some other time." I sighed, as the chills were getting unbearable. I thought I should be getting inside.

"OK, beta. Please be wiser. And don't repeat those mistakes." she said in a warming way and cut the call, making me swirl in my chaotic thoughts again.

***

After almost two days, I was feeling like myself again. I practically avoided any confrontation with the press, declined many interview requests that offered me a staggered amount. I found it funny, how some journalists could cash on defaming someone's life. A complete set of absurd stories began to float the internet, and the news channels. I could not care less.

On a Friday evening, after office hours, I entered our usual grocery store. Throughout the ride to the store, I had an eerie feeling that someone followed me. Maybe I was getting paranoid.

I dragged the trolley into Fruits and Vegetable section. Just when I added apples to my trolley, I saw somebody looking at me through the other row. When I walked back to see, the familiar face had me frozen on the spot.

Vikram's mouth twitched into a smirk. He held my gaze while gliding towards me in two strides.

"Hi, What a surprise!" he spoke in a smooth voice.

"Why are you here?" I asked knitting my eyebrows together. Even after wearing a fresh linen white shirt and casual blue jeans, he looked like he did not belong in the particular store.

"Oh, I was just passing by. I thought I could drop by to buy some groceries on the way," he chuckled.

"Really. You must take me as that stupid." I blurted.

"You are right. That's a very lame excuse of seeing you." He let out a calculative laugh.

"Why have you followed me? I don't concern you in any way." I was still shocked that he was standing there in front of me.