Date and Desserts

He looked breath taking in his perfectly fitted navy suit, his hair pulled back with a great perfection, not too glossy and not too subtle. I took tentative steps towards him and stood little behind the group of people, I wanted to look at him without his notice. As if he sensed my presence, he looked sideways and slowly the perfect lips curled into a mischievous smile. 'Did he recognize me?' I asked myself. Before I could process the answer, the elevator opened. Steadily I went behind the crowd and somehow ended up in the corner in front of him.

I heard him chuckle. I could not know but his mere presence and musky aftershave had my breathing going haywire. My heart was leaping out of my chest as he breathed against my neck. I came alive, all my nerve endings stood up in anticipation. It was probably the first time when I literally felt weak on my knees. As if it wasn't enough, he slowly drew the hair from my back and placed it over the shoulders. The light touch of his fingers burned my skin, and left me wanting for more. I felt my knees giving up. Somehow, I kept my left hand on the wall to steady myself and ever so slightly leaned backwards, savouring the proximity of his form.

When the lift stopped on the ninth floor, I sensed my misappropriate reaction to his closeness and took a place in his right, as the space presented on leaving of few people. I stared down my feet, feeling stupid, taking measured breaths to distract my thoughts. I told myself that he was way out of my league and that mere thinking about him was illegal. Then the curiosity rose.

I glanced in his direction, moving the lock of my hair behind my ears to have the casual effect. The devil looked right at me and winked. What! Really. Damn him. I blushed. Stupid stupid Trish! Stop acting like a hormonal teenager!

Mindlessly I stared at the lift panel for the floor number tapping my feet nervously. The lift halted again at the 15th floor, deserting and leaving us alone. The closed space charged with anticipation. My whole world existed in that four wall and nowhere else. I opened my lips to breathe; he looked at me, with the same wanting. Ever so slowly, he came into my space, raised his hands as if touch me but then dropped it again, breathing deeply. Then he moved away and stared at the blinking floor numbers. I felt relieved and disappointed at the same time.

Fortunately, the door of the elevator opened on the twenty-second floor and got me out of my phased self. I walked out, still processing the unfathomable emotions running through me. To my surprise, he also walked straight ahead without uttering a word.

"Hey, Trish, Just in time. I booked us a table", Raghav called from afar. I adjusted my eyes from Mr. Mysterious to Raghav, who was also suited up. His brown eyes twinkled in the dim light surrounding of a luxurious space.

"What happened Trish, you look flushed." He asked nervously, keeping his one hand dug into his pocket.

"Nothing. I am fine." I blurted still heaving furiously at my subconscious. "You look good."

He smiled and led me to the table by the glass wall, which offered an expansive view of Mumbai's skyline. As he pulled the chair for me, I furiously heaved at my illogical behaviour. How could I be so out of place? I should not have let him touch me like that. We were strangers and that was wrong. I did not even know his name for crying out loud. Where is my intelligence! Never again.

"I ordered while I was waiting for you. I hope you don't mind," he said while spreading the napkin on his lap. "By the way Trisha, you look absolutely stunning."

"Thank you," I replied giving him a small smile. "Look Raghav, this place looks expensive. I don't have that kind of money."

He looked amused. "Obviously, you are not paying. This is my treat."

"This is not supposed to be a date. I am sorry if I have given you that kind of impression," I snapped, unable to control the irritation.

"No, it's not a date," he replied cautiously. "If Girish would have been here I would have given both of you a treat. Don't misunderstand."