Home Sweet Home

"Are you nervous?" asked Aayan, for the hundredth time. Hell yes, I was nervous. And that would be the understatement of the century.

There I was standing on the doorstep of the biggest house slash mansion I ever have seen, with my super boss slash boyfriend to surprise his mom. I was literally shivering in my classy blue dress, Riya's choice.

The house was just magnificent white, originally a British palace. It was the early Saturday morning. Sunrays bathed the manor with a golden hue, projecting the magnitude of the fort. It had a well-manicured garden, a small lake by the side, tall pillars, and domes. It was like watching Mr. Darcy's palace. Each time I knew how rich he was, the next time I would get wonder-struck.

The last conversation with his mom crossed my mind, making me flinch slightly.

Whatever happens, I am here to meet her, officially as her son's girlfriend, whether she accepts or not.

WHATEVER!

Dammit.

Riya gave me a soft pat on my shoulders. She was standing behind us. The training was over, before going back to Mumbai, there I was meeting the family.

"You will get through this." Her firm tone failed to encourage me. I gave her weak smile, returned my gaze to the forbidden door ahead, and took a long breath.

Here I come.

We moved past the doors, entered what seemed like a freaking Bollywood movie set. There was soft and intricately designed carpet under my feet and the ceiling was almost two-storey high. The stone arches painted with blue, green, and red coloured patterns. Whereas the corners of the wall had prominent yet delicate carvings on them. The windows high and long had a stone net that allowed the soft breeze to ventilate in the large space.

The butler who was silently walking beside us disappeared to fetch Aayan's mother.

"Do you like the house, sweetheart?" Aayan asked while pressing my hand. His touch warming me in the cold weather.

"It is grand!" I said hoarsely.

His eyes travelled up to the stairway, where his mother was glaring down at us. I could tell that she did not like what she saw.

"Mother, how have you been?" Aayan hugged her when she finally made it to the end of the stairs, maybe agonizingly slow.

Her eyes never left me, I was uncertain of the emotion, though.

"Finally, you decided to surprise me?" her voice was cold and distant.

"Mother, please be nice to her. She is my girlfriend," he warned under his breath.

"Sure," she fake smiled and gave me an awkward hug.

"It is really good to see you again, Mrs. Kar," I paused for a few seconds. "And can we please start over? We got off on the wrong foot."

She nodded studying my face a little longer. There was a mask on her face, there was no way I could guess what was she thinking right now. I hold her gaze to try my luck, but nothing.

"I would love to, dear. I will arrange for the feast tonight. I will make the dessert myself. Anything for my son!" She finished with a sigh. Her face gave away no emotion at all.

"Riya, Please get her comfortable in the guest bedroom downstairs. I could have done more. But it was a surprise," she directed Riya the corridor to the left.

***

As I settled on my bed, the same old uneasiness was building up inside me. She might never like me. What would I do then? I sighed and pushed the window curtains away to let the light brighten my mood. Warily I thought Shweta would be in the same situation as me. Trying to Fit in! I chuckled to myself. What a story they had! Love at first sight.