Change.

My chest is rising rapidly and I can feel the cold ground on my back. The spear is right above my head, waiting to finish me off, I don't look away from it as I think.

I try to find a way out of this but my aching body makes it difficult for me to concentrate. I know though that if I don't act now it's over. It's now or never.

The spear is lifted a little bit before the person turns it in his hands and points it again towards me, ready to rip through my chest. With a swift move I turn to the side, letting it hit the ground in the place where my head was seconds ago. I use the element of surprise and move my feet to kick at the person above me. Surprised, he takes a few steps backwards, leaving me room to make my move. I grab the spear that he is holding loosely, move it under his legs and spread them apart, causing him to fall, flat in his back. Out of breath, I point it to his face.

I look down at the pool of dark brown curls laying in the floor, feeling proud of myself. A red lipped smile greets me in a smirk.

"You are getting better at this." I smile back at Isabelle and offer her my hand but she just eyes it up and down and gets up herself causing me to laugh.

"Yes, I managed to hit you once after you kicking my ass for the last two hours." I remark, removing my hair out of its ponytail. Wet black hair falls on my shoulders, reminding me that right now I am probably looking like a sweating pig while Isabelle looks like she was having coffee for the past two hours.

She laughs at my comment with raised eyebrows. "Exactly, an improvement." Under any other circumstances I would give her a sarcastic answer but she isn't wrong so I shut up.

"For real though, don't be too hard on yourself, you are getting better, and fast. Be proud." I watch her as she turns her back at me and moves to replace the weapons in their place.

I may not admit it about loud but I am kinda proud.

When she is done she tosses me a towel to drench my sweat and leads me out of the training room.

And from all the kicks in the stomach that I got today, the one I get right now that I've landed back to reality, is the most painful.

I look around at the decorated staircases, the walls adorned with glimpses of gold and white and the flowers scattered at every single corner of the place. Isabelle's laugh has faded away and her playful look is now replaced by a sad one.

"Are you sure about today?"After all the times that I got asked the same question from her, Adam and Jace and after they hear the same answer every single time, I'm surprised that they still have hope.

"Izzy..." I warn, letting her now that I haven't changed my mind. She knows better than to press it even more and just nods disappointed at me.

I am tired of explaining to them why I chose not to attend this wedding. Actually, to be more precise why I chose not to try and stop this wedding. I won't do this to him.

I say my goodbyes to Isabelle and climb the staircase to reach my mother's room.

I wait nervously for a moment outside the wooden door, my heart clenching Athens the thought of what I will find inside. Half of me wishes she'd stop trying so hard to change what happened. That she'd understand that she can't change it. And another part of me, is terrified that as soon as I walk into the room the smell of alcohol will attack my nostrils and paralyze my lungs.

I take in a breath before turning the knob. I avoid looking inside the room for as long as I can, however when I do I'm taken aback. The room is tidy and in the air there is a faint smell of lemons and soap, reminding me painfully of the person my mother used to be.
My eyes travel from the neat bed to the open windows and land on the frame by the desk.

My mother is standing there, one pen in her hand, and the other tangled with her hair on a messy bun, smiling at me warmly. I approach hesitantly, afraid that my mind is playing tricks on me and that I will suddenly wake up and come face to face with bloodshot eyes and pale cheeks.

I don't though.

All that happens is that she reaches out and hugs me by the waist. I am taken aback and stand there not really knowing what to do, before awkwardly patting her hand. I don't think my mother has hugged me for so many years, so many that I had forgotten how it feels like.

"Sorry but I had a sudden burst of inspiration and decided to work a little bit."

Confused I narrow my eyes at her but realization hits me a moment after and I move my gaze to the scattered pieces of paper on her desk. I haven't seen her write anything since after her funeral. I remember that all she was able to write back then was sad monologues, rough words scattered around on destroyed paper, looking angry and miserable. I had forgotten that I had taken it from her, the love of writing. I had forgotten that ever since I was a little girl we had been writing stories together, taking notes of every crazy thought that occurred to us. That she bought me my first diary and encouraged me to write something in there every day.

"Sky." Her voice brings me back to reality and I cough, moving my hair away from my face.

"Right, it's okay. I had been training with Isabelle."

She nods at my words and offers me a smile.

"Yes I can see that." She is looking down at me and I turn to look at my clothes too, reeking of sweat.

"I should probably have a shower. See you later?" I ask as I move to the door, in desperate need of some cold water to hit my body and cool my brain off for a while.

She just nods at me and I turn to walk out of the room. When I take a last look at her I can see her scratching the back of her head, like she is frustrated. Despite her cool act I understand that she is weary and nervous around me,as if she is scared she will say the wrong thing.

I shake my head at what I just witnessed, thinking that a few months with Valentine really do change people.

Honestly I don't know if anyone is still keeping up with this story since I haven't posted in a long time. This chapter is a short one I know but I promise that the next one will make up for it.
I'm so sorry but school is an actual torture right now.

Love you.