XLVII

A/N: penultimate chapter

"Kai, who d'ya fancy?" Zayn grinned.

"Y/N."

I bit my lip as I processed the younger girl's response, Kendall catching my eye and smiling reassuringly. She trusted me, and that was all I needed to know.

"I'm not a celebrity," I whispered to the younger girl playfully, earning a giggle from the model. "Okay, I need to head off to work," I announced to my friends while pulling Kaia up with me as I stood up. "Would you like to join me?" I asked her with a small smile. She nodded silently in response, following me out.

"Why wouldn't she? Is she going to ask Kaia if she'd like to make out as well?" I heard my girlfriend question sarcastically as we were leaving. I shot Kendall a warning glare, which she shrugged off, offering me a dazzling smile she knew I couldn't help but return.

I called our family's chauffer to pick us up, knowing that Kaia probably needed more privacy than a regular cab could provide. We entered the car silently, and I waited until we had set off before asking her about the crush.

"So," I smiled, snapping Kaia out of her trance.

"So," she repeated back in a whisper. Her gaze was fixed on me, and I watched as she wet her lips before tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear. Her gaze flickered down to my lips.

Kaia leaned in, her breath hot against my skin with her eyes shut gently. She looked beautiful. I didn't pull away as quickly as I should have; instead I felt my heart race as the brunette came closer. I couldn't explain why I was so reluctant to reject the younger girl's advances. Kaia's lips were just seconds away from brushing against mine, yet somehow I managed to turn slightly so that her kiss landed on the corner of my mouth instead.

"So you can sleep with everyone but I can't even get a kiss?" She asked, visibly upset.

I exhaled deeply, trying to compose myself and gather whether she was just retaliating to rejection. "Are you trying to call me a slut?" I asked calmly, slightly hurt by what the younger girl was insinuating. I didn't slut shame, and I wasn't here for it, but I was upset that anyone could subconsciously think to use my sex life against me.

"No," she insisted with glossy eyes. "It just hurts."

"Kai I can't," I reminded her softly, knowing fully well that she was more than aware of this.

"I know," she sighed, her gaze not falling from my face. "You've got Kendall, and that makes me such a shitty person for doing this." She added, running her hands through my hair. I smiled softly at the younger girl. I loved Kendall, but I couldn't hate Kaia for liking me. You can't choose who you fall for.

"You're definitely not, and it's brave of you to be this honest," I reassured Kaia with a smile. We eventually relaxed into the situation, and began to act a little more like normal. "So, the Kaia Gerber likes me," I grinned while she laughed, rolling her eyes, blushing a little. "I must be properly down with the kids."

"You're such an idiot," she joked, nudging me playfully.

I frowned back, acting along. "You don't really mean that," I teased.

"I know."

"Why me though?" I asked, genuinely curious. She laughed, asking me jokingly whether I had seen myself in lingerie.

"Why not you?" I shrugged and allowed the topic to be dropped. Kaia edged closer towards me hesitantly, sighing as I pulled her closer into me. "You make it so hard," she whispered. It hurt to know that one of my closest friends was hurting because of me. I was an affectionate person in general, and I hated that my tendency to be flirty was impacting Kaia.

We had arrived at my office building, and I automatically jumped out to offer Kaia a hand as she got out of the car. I swore under my breath as I realised what I was doing, before smiling as she waved it off, reassuring me that she didn't mind.

I had a meeting with Madison Beer, a friend of mine from California, scheduled a short while after we arrived. Madison was now a singer, pretty enough to model, but wanted me specifically to shoot her album cover. My thoughts drifted back to Kaia, wondering if the two would be a good match.

"Can I set you up with someone?" I asked the younger girl casually, as we waited to reach my floor in the elevator.

Kaia laughed, reassuring me that I didn't have to worry about that. "Unless she's as funny and hot as you, I'm good." I smiled back at the younger girl.

"Babe, you know no one could compete," I joked as she punched me playfully.

"Okay, as hot as her," she shrugged, motioning towards one of the models on the wall in the office.

"Hotter," I winked, confidently leading Kaia into my office. She explored my office before settling on Kylie's favourite bean bag, smirking playfully at me as I sat behind my desk.

"You look so sexy in your office. Your office and you're only nineteen. Such a turn on," she winked jokingly, while I rolled my eyes at the younger girl.

"Behave," I smiled. I accepted my secretary's request to send in my client, fixing my hair quickly as we waited.

"You already look hot, stop it," Kaia teased, making me smile gratefully at the younger girl.

Madison walked in looking effortlessly beautiful. Her hair was pulled back in a bun, and even in mom jeans and an old Elvis shirt she'd cut, she looked incredible. She smiled widely as she saw me, instantly making me smile back and remember why knowing Madison had been the girl to make me realise my sexuality before I had actually dated a girl for the first time, Kendall, in high school.

"Hey gorgeous," I greeted, pulling my friend into a tight hug while Kaia scoffed behind me.

"You're such a flirt," she teased as I gasped, professing myself to simply be a welcoming host.

"Isn't she just," Madison smiled in response to Kaia, the two of them practically ignoring my presence in their little moment.

We discussed the shoot easily, our ideas bouncing off of each other while Kaia stared dreamily at Madison. We finalised our plan, and ended our discussion, only to find Kaia still in her doe-eyed state.

"You're staring," Madison smiled, pulling Kaia out of her trance.

Kaia shook her head with a grin, as Madison tilted her head a little – encouraging her to explain. "I was just appreciating the view," she shrugged, while the singer blushed.

Who was the flirt now? I was happy to see the two get on so well and I knew I had to make a move to ensure they met again.

"Come over to mine tomorrow evening," I addressed Madison, "I'm throwing a party."

"You are?" Kaia questioned sounding confused, before I nudged her in the side.

"How could I miss a chance to see your pretty faces again," Madison smiled, focusing her attention solely on Kaia -despite addressing both of us.

"I'm sure Kaia would love to see you again," I winked, giving Madison my address before leaving the office with Kaia.

A/N: Next chapter will be the final chapter of this book, which I will follow with my final a/n and a q&a, where you can ask me anything about the book