★chapter 22 - apologies

"You actually want to join the club? What about the debate club?" Umi asked, surprised.

"I-I wasn't happy there. I don't like all the fighting and politics around the major clubs like that. Monika seems happy in your club. I just want to be happy."

Akara's voice faltered. Umi glanced at her face and realized she was crying. She carefully set her hand on the girl's shoulder, causing the purple haired girl to jump and drop her tea. The cup fell down into the water below.

It only made it worse.

"Fuck. I'm so sorry," Akara cried. "I'm so sorry."

She repeated those words over and over. Each time, her voice became softer and more fragile, causing Umi's heart to break each time the phrase was repeated.

"Hey, it's no big deal," Umi assured her.

"I'm sorry," Akara sobbed.

Umi tried to reassure her friend, but it was useless. Akara only cried harder.

She then apologized for everything.
She was sorry for replacing Himari.
She was sorry for loving Nao.
She was sorry for messing up her relationship.
She was sorry for being so fucked up and broken.
She was sorry for existing.

"I-I should just jump off this bridge right here right now," she cried.

Umi pulled her from the ledge of the bridge. She held her tightly in a warm hug. She could feel her shoulder soaking with tears.

She could feel Akara pulling away and wiping her tears. "I-I'm sorry. I just cracked. No big deal."

Umi stared into her eyes.

The purple orbs filled with sadness.

Akara forced a large smile.

It looked real.

But it wasn't.

Because her eyes.

Her eyes were not smiling.

Her eyes were still sad.

"No big deal? You just threatened suicide!" Umi only hugged her tighter. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "I could've lost you."

"I'm sorry," Akara whimpered.

"You apologize so much," Uni said sadly.

"Sorry, I— oh."

Umi carefully held Akara's chin with her fingers. The two stared into each other's eyes. Only then, did they realize how close they really were.

Only an inch, and their lips would touch.

That's what Umi wanted.

But that's what Umi couldn't have.

She could not make Akara into a cheater.

Akara was dating Nao.

And Umi needed to end that.

"You have depression, don't you?" Umi asked.

Akara's eyes had all the truth. No matter what came out of her mouth, the answer would be in those beautiful people eyes.

With that, Akara nodded solemnly.

_

_

"Yoshikawa Nao?" Natsuki gasped. "Papa, you're dating Yoshikawa Nao?!"

Papa nodded.

"She's only a year older than me! Are you crazy?" Natsuki yelled.

She felt a sting on her cheek, instinctively placing her hand on the throbbing skin. Yoshikawa Nao had slapped her.