★chapter 12 - shadows

Curling up into a ball, the small girl whimpered into the sheets. Shadows cast over the walls from a tall oak tree outside her window. Floors creaked slightly. Papa would be here any minute.

Her vision became blurry as tears began to form. She closed her eyes tightly. Was it because she needed to stop herself from crying? Was it because she didn't want to see the shadows?

She tried to imagine herself somewhere else. Anywhere but alone in that dark bedroom. Anywhere away from her papa.

The voices in her head began to whisper evil thoughts. That only made her more afraid.

Papa's coming for you.

He's going to be so mad that you left.

He's going to kill you.

Natsuki opened her eyes, studying her surroundings. A loud noise echoed through the room. Natsuki screamed.

"Yuri!" she screamed, hiding under the blanket. This was the end for her. Her papa was here to get her.

"Natsuki?" Lights flicked on. A voice came from the doorway. It wasn't her father; the voice was feminine.

She carefully poked her head out from the blanket. Tears by then were spilling from her eyes at a rapid pace. Umi rushed over to her. "Are you okay?"

"G-Get Yuri, p-please," Natsuki whimpered. Umi nodded, a small smirk playing on her lips.

Umi left the room, leaving a scared Natsuki alone in the room. Alone with her thoughts.

Spotting Yuri in the doorway, she jumped from her covers, crashing into the taller girl.

Yuri led the crying girl to the bed. She didn't know what to do. She only had to trust her instinct. She wrapped her arms around Natsuki and comfortingly traced circles on her back. The sobs began to quiet down, much to everyone's relief.

"Y'know," Umi said from the doorway. "I never pictured her to be the 'scared at night' type."

"Shh, it's okay, Suki," Yuri whispered into the girl's ear, ignoring Umi. "You're safe here with me."

"You two are gross," Umi said, walking from the room.

"Yuri, what did you call me?" Natsuki asked, looking up at her.

"I-I'm sorry!" Yuri apologized. "I don't know what I was thinking!"

"N-No, it's okay. I-I like it. Usually, it's Nat or something. Suki is different— unique."

Yuri smiled, her eyes sparkling.

"Hey, guys," Umi said, once again appearing in the doorway. "Come downstairs. I made hot chocolate."

Yuri gave her a grateful look, beginning to stand up. Natsuki followed closely behind. The three grabbed their hot drink and sat down on the couch.

"We should watch a movie," Yuri suggested.

"What kind?" Natsuki asked. "I'm all for it!"

"We should watch a horror movie!" Yuri suggested brightly.

"I'm down," Umi added.

Natsuki played with her sleeves. "I-I don't know."

Umi put her arm around her. "C'mon, Suki. It'll be fun!"

"While I agree with Umi, meaning I think it'll be fun, only I can call her ‘Suki,’" Yuri interjected.

Umi rolled her eyes, surrendering.

"Well, we have school tomorrow. I think we should sleep," Natsuki said.

"Are you scared, Natsuki?" Umi asked.