Chapter Thirty Nine: In Close Proximity

For the first time during their trip, they had landed at their destination during daylight hours. Getting up from her place on the ground, she dusted herself off, looking down at her clothes. It seemed that during their transport to each orb-bearing country, their clothes would change to those traditional to the country. She didn't mind wearing the knee-length purple dress under her cloak, she thought, before turning to look at her surroundings.

"Snow capped mountains, crisp fresh air, sunlight...where do you think we are?" Alexandra asked Mark, as he too got up.

"Sounds like Polaris." He told her.

"It is." Nicholas said from behind them.

"How do you know?" Mark asked, stealing the words from her.

"I remember being somewhere similar with my father once...when I was little." The lord told them, as he grabbed his duffel bag from the ground. "We stayed near the foot of those mountains."

Looking in the direction Nicholas was pointing, Alexandra saw that there was smoke coming from the base. There must have been a village there. Her father had probably been a part of that trip, since the King usually took annual trips to Polaris in order to strengthen their ties. The two countries had a very strong friendship. It was partly the reason some of Seraphine's people would sometimes settle in the country, that and the beauty of the land.

"Legend has it that Seraphine's forefather's descended from Polaris." Nicholas spoke, much to Alexandra's surprise.

"How did you know that?" She asked, turning to look at him. She had not expected for him to remember such a thing.

"I can remember some of the things my father used to tell me. That was one of them, the other was to serve and protect the crown, no matter what." He told her, with a smile.

Taken aback, Alexandra looked away. It was strange to hear what he had started to recall, another part of her was vaguely jealous. Whatever, I knew what I was getting myself into, she thought to herself, trying to clear her mind.

"It's just like you Devereux men..." She muttered, before turning to her guard.

"Do we have a map of this country?"

"Yes, we do. It was one of the few maps I was able to bring with us."

Taking the piece of paper from him, she looked at it. Where in the country could the orb be, she thought, before reciting the spell, hoping it wouldn't take long to find.

...

"How's it going Mark?"

Looking in to the mirror, Valek could see Mark looking exhausted. It had been about a month since the other guard, the Queen, and Nicholas had left the castle. Although nothing of great importance had happened at the castle, Valek was anxious for them to come back. Keeping an eye on Sophia had not been hard so far, she had been behaving, acting like Alexandra for her had been surprisingly easy.

"It's going well. We found another orb in Bryonia. It took a while though." His cousin told him, through the seven cornered mirror.

"How many has it been then?"

"Four...they're in the most strangest places..." Mark shook his head with exasperation.

"Where are you now?" Valek asked.

"Polaris." The other guard said, sounding grim.

"She could be caught out." Valek understood at once why Mark sounded unhappy.