Chapter Twenty Eight: You're Mine, & Mine Alone

Walking down the corridor to the King's Quarters, she heard a whistle come from behind her. Turning to see who it was, Alexandra crossed her arms.

"Well, if it isn't one of my shadows."

"Morning to you too, Alex. Is that a spring in your step, I notice, sexy Lexie." Mark smirked coming up to her.

Feeling her cheeks heat up, Alexandra turned away.

"Shut up, Mark. Never call me that again."

"Aww, come on sexy Lexie...I even have a song prepared." He snickered.

"Quit it." She told him, rather forcefully. Although she had expected some sort of teasing from her guards, she wasn't ready to put up with it so early in the morning.

"It's not like I teased you during your summer of love phase all those years ago." Alexandra glared at him.

Holding up his hands in defeat, Mark walked over and put an arm around her shoulder.

"Hey, that was before I got this job, so it doesn't count." He said, giving her an innocent look before winking. "I've been good since, no revolving door of beauties...well maybe just one or two."

"Eww...Marcus! Too much information."

Shrugging out from under his arm and pushing him away, Alexandra shook her head as Mark gave her a mock hurt look.

"I was joking!"

"Whatever, Mark, just stop."

"Alright...fine." He said, sighing. "I just glad that you're happy, Alex."

Tilting her head in disbelief, she watched as her guard gave her a sad puppy dog look. Sighing, she gave him a hug.

"Thanks Mark...but if you ever call me that again...I will punch you." She murmured, sweetly. "Right in the face, Marcus."

"I'd like to see you try, Alexandra." Her guard chuckled.

"Don't call me that! It sounds like my father is about to tell me off." She complained letting go.

"Stop complaining, Alexandra. You have meetings to go to today." He said, trying to get a rise out of her.

"Anyway, what are you doing here, Alex? Shouldn't you be going down for breakfast?" Mark asked, after his laughter subsided.

"I needed to get some papers. I have to see both upper and lower houses today, and there's the first joint meeting of the year tomorrow. So everything has to be perfect." She said, as they entered the room, where she began rifling through pages on her desk.

"You do remember that Crawley wants to see you before lunch tomorrow, right?" Her head of security asked.

"Yes, how could I forget? He said to bring the Royal Advisor with me. I have to tell Nick." She mumbled, having finally spotted the papers. "Found it!"

"The Greenbelt act?" Mark asked her, having come over and read the heading of the sheets.

"Crawley seems to have it in his head that we should develop some parts of Ifa that are close to the ports into a tourist resort...kind of like the Isle. The Dukes are dead set against it, and so am I. I just needed some support from my Dad...he had a study done on how it would affect wildlife." She told him. "We already have vacation spots for tourists, there's not much use for a casino and high-rises...it's like he thinks we're competing with the Isle."

"Sometimes I wonder why Crawley even bothers..." Mark snickered, as they walked out of the room.

Locking the door behind them, Alexandra followed Mark to the kitchen. As they entered, the smell of freshly baked muffins wafted towards them.