Chapter One: So Number 50326...You Are?

"Why did I agree to do this again?" Alexandra complained, as she sat down at the dining table.

"You were the one who said she didn't want another idiot cook who only knows how to char food. Besides, you're doing this to show the country that employment at the castle goes through a fair and just system." Sophia replied with a little smirk. "It was your idea, Alex."

Some days I wish I could wipe that smirk of her face, Alexandra thought viciously, gathering the skirts of her gown so that they wouldn't get stuck under her chair.

"Why didn't you just ask your brother to work here?" Alexandra inquired. "Didn't you say he graduated from culinary school in Airidia?"

"I forgot to ask. Besides, I haven't spoken to him for a while, I only found out he was coming back here when my parents told me." Her Lady-in-Waiting replied. "And you were the one who wanted to be fair, remember?"

Sophia was the same age as Alexandra. With long auburn hair and deep blue-green eyes, she and Alexandra both looked similar and were average height. Something that came in useful at times. Alexandra on the other hand had golden brown eyes rimmed with green flecks, her long auburn hair was usually tied back.

"Yes...I remember..." Alexandra mumbled with annoyance. "How could I forget with you around."

In front of her were a number of dishes, each with a placard containing a number. Sophia handed her a clipboard with a sheet containing the same numbers, and a space for comments.

"So we narrowed it down to the top 50, huh?" Alexandra said wearily, eying the food as her guards came into the dining hall.

"Yup. Looks like you're going to be fattened up, Alex." Mark commented, as he walked up to her.

"Shut up."

"How will you make it to the meeting with the Lower House, O Queen of Seraphine?" Valek asked bowing down, a grin coming over his face.

Between the two of them, they had a comedy show running, Alexandra thought. The only thing was, their jokes made fun of her.

Mark and Valek had been the heads of her security since before she became queen. The two of them were eight years older than her, and formed the Three Musketeers with Sophia's brother Nicholas... behind their backs, Alexandra and Sophia would snicker about them as the Three Stooges.

Both were tall and lean, but Alexandra knew that both could pack quite a punch when it came to protecting her. Mark's soft features of bright blue eyes with brown hair, sharply contrasted with Valek's almost whitish blond hair and green eyes.

"Anyway, we'll leave you to do what you do best." Valek snickered causing Alexandra to glare, as Mark started to leave.

"Where do you think you two are going?" She asked them.

"Make rounds, do our duty. You know, top secret guard stuff." Mark replied.

"Nope...you three are stuck here until we select the best dish." Alexandra smirked, as the Sophia and the two boys groaned. "Who's laughing now?"

-----

"Okay so are we all agreed that from all the dishes number 50326 was the best one?" Valek asked after they had spent an hour deliberating.

"Yes. That is the only good plate I've eaten." Alexandra concurred.

"Yes, I'm actually surprised how the other dishes tasted so...bland..." Sophia commented.