Chapter Fifty Eight: It All Ends Here

"You can't move, Grimaldi. Any last words?"

His sword at the ready, Nicholas watched as David struggled from the confines of the ice. He was prepared to end this fight, it had gone on long enough. David's villainous ways had disrupted their lives for the last time.

"You know magic." He said weakly, his voice expressing his surprise at being unable to move at all.

"No...I only learned a little bit recently." Nicholas admitted. "The Oracle taught me only because I had relatives who used to practice, and she knew you would use those powers the witch of Saarsgard gave you. She thought you would take advantage of Alex's honest nature. She fights fairly, and would never try to seek the upper hand...where as you would."

"But I didn't use anything against her." David sneered. "Ask her yourself."

"I don't need to. You trapped them here in a storm, and ensured Mark and Valek couldn't move. I think that would count." He told the other man.

"I did nothing against Alexandra."

"No...but knowing you, the thought probably crossed your mind. And I'm sure if she had held you off any longer, you would have used a spell."

The former lord didn't deny it, a smirk even crossed his lips. Nicholas had been right.

"Very impressive, Nicholas."

"It's not about me...it's time you suffered the consequences for what you've done." He lifted his sword, knowing that the only way to conclude this man's reign of misfortune over them and Seraphine was by terminating his life.

About to strike, he heard his name being called. Turning, he saw his three companions heading towards him.

"Nicholas!" Alexandra shouted, as she ran towards him. "Stop!"

Flabbergasted, he didn't understand why. She knew what David was responsible for, why was she telling him to stop?

"Lex...why would you possibly want to save his life, after everything he's done to you? To all of us?" He asked, a little bit hurt.

"Don't do it." She said, as she came up to him. Putting a hand on his sword holding arm, Alexandra gently lowered it.

Pressing a sweet and gentle kiss to his lips, she looked deep into his eyes.

"I'm not here trying to save David, Nick. I'm trying to save you."

...

"She's right, Nick." Mark said shaking his head, as he came over to the two, while Valek unsheathed his own sword.

"Nick...this isn't you. You're not the man who would willingly kill someone. This is not your job, mate." The brown haired guard said, taking his friend's sword and starting to move the two away. Alexandra was right, Nicholas was a good, kind hearted person. Killing someone, no matter how much the other person deserved it, would eventually take a toll on him. Whereas he and Valek had been trained at the academy, on how to kill, and different methods to use. Though it would hurt them to take another life, they were had spent years preparing for a day like this.

"This is our job, Nick." Valek said walking over to them, a cold glint in his green eyes, while his sword was at the ready.

"Well, Marcus, it looks like the storm has cleared. You might want to take them back to the castle before things get ugly." His blonde haired cousin said, nodding to the Queen and lord.

"You're right. We should get going." Mark nodded, putting his hands on Alexandra's and Nicholas' shoulders, he pushed them to start moving towards the forest.