Chapter Four: This Means War!

Covering her face as she followed Mark to kitchen, Alexandra couldn't believe her luck. Of all days, today, she had a meeting with the Upper House of Dukes...and to top it all off...

"So tell me again what happened? Did you accidentally rub blue dye on your lips and neck while sleeping or something?" Her guard asked, as they headed to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Never mind!" She replied contritely. She had given up trying to explain the predicament she was in.

Stupid Nicholas! She wanted to shout. He had mesmerized her with his eyes and touch...and when she'd looked in the mirror, blue fingerprints ran up along her neck, while her lips which he had traced...were all blue. It unnerved her that she could still feel his touch on her lips.

There were several words she had wanted to call him, but they were all unfit for a queen.

As they entered the kitchen, the smell of freshly baked bread rolls filled her nose, and Alexandra momentarily forgot her grief towards the chef. That was until she saw his light blue finger. Spotting it from where she stood, Alexandra looked over at Mark, only to find an expression of realization come over him.

"Unbelievable..." She heard her head of security chuckle, as he smirked at her.

Alexandra had been lucky enough to find a gown with a high neck, to cover the blue fingerprints...it was her lips that were bothering her. Nothing was able to keep the blue from showing through, without making her look like one of the travelers that passed through her country bringing with them carnivals. Even Sophia hadn't been able to find a solution.

"I'm not going to the meeting like this." She told Mark.

"Yes, you are. They aren't going to care if you show up with blue lips, Alex, they just want to finalize some of the construction plans in their towns." Mark told her, the finality in his tone told her that if she had been wearing a paper bag she still would have had to attend the meeting.

"You're breakfast, Highness." Nicholas said, as he placed a plate of bread rolls and jars of fruit preserves in front of her.

This time she didn't bother to correct him. She was irritated that he had been able to pull one over on her, but to confuse her emotions...that was cruel. I don't like him! She told herself. I've just been working on this country alone...for too long...and he confused me! She tried comforting herself.

"This isn't fair!" She burst out. Upon hearing the two boys snicker, she realized her thoughts had been said aloud.

"Shut up!" Alexandra muttered viciously.

"So Nick, mind telling me the tale behind your blue finger?" Mark asked, as he bit into a bread roll while the chef sat across from her. Narrowing her eyes, Alexandra glared at him. Don't you dare! She wanted to yell at him.

"Unfortunately, it's not much of a tale. I was making blueberry jam, and it stained my finger." He said, shooting her an innocent look.

Liar! She wanted to shout at him.

"So it stained just one finger?"

"Okay Marcus, time for you to go inspect the room for today's meeting. Tell Sophia to bring me a scarf...I'm going to pretend I have a cough and cover my mouth." Alexandra interrupted, pulling Mark out of his chair and shoving him in to walking away.

"Fine, fine...save me some more of those rolls Nick!" Mark grinned as he walked away.

Turning to see Nicholas start to clear the table, Alexandra started to feel nervous again. Focus! She told herself, as he looked up at her. Unable to think of anything, she blurted out the first thing that came to mind.