Chapter Twenty One: The First of Many

Walking down the hallway, Mark checked to see that everything was going the way it should. There were no suspicious personnel hanging around the castle, and so far he hadn't seen anyone pass the guards at the entrance without being checked. Everything was going smoothly, he thought, turning down the hallway about to head to the upper level.

"Mark! Mark! Wait up!"

Turning to see Nicholas running down the hallway, the guard wondered what he was being summoned for.

"Where's the fire, Nick?" He smirked, as the man walked up to him.

"Not in the kitchen, if that's what you mean." The chef snickered. "I'm not Tom, you know."

"Yes, I do." Mark agreed. "So...what's going on?"

He watched as the young man squirmed a little bit. It has to do with Alexandra, he thought immediately. Even though they were close friends, it seemed the two of them along with Valek understood that they were exploring new territory with the Queen being courted by one of their own.

"I wanted to take Alex out...for a date..." The Lord said, looking down at his shoes.

"Okay...where?"

"Well...I was thinking about the old chef's hut?"

"The one in the middle of the woods? How did you find out about it?" Mark asked, surprised that Nicholas would know. The old Chef Barton had used it during his time at the castle, after the man had left the hut had been re-built and refurnished.

"I'm the new chef remember?" The other man grinned. "And I checked it out when I got here. It looks better than what I remember."

"It should, now that Barton's gone." Mark commented, with a smirk. "How come you didn't ask to take her to town or something?"

Looking at the young Lord, Mark could see that Nicholas wasn't someone who would need reminding of the rules, not like David did, he thought.

"I know you, Marcus. Anything in view of other people would have been shot down, not only because we are not official in the eyes of her people...but because you don't like the security problem that comes with it."

"Ah...you know me so well. Anyway, I'll get Valek to take a look at it with Aram. Just let me know when you plan to take her. Anything else?"

"Yes...there is one other thing." Nicholas said quietly.

"What?" Mark asked, curiously.

"What's her most favorite place to eat from, in town?"

...

"Should I be nervous?"

Looking over at Sophia, Alexandra showed her another dress. Her closet was filled with several gowns for every day wear, cloaks, as well as ball gowns for special occasions; there was also a small section of dresses, most were colourful knee length frocks that had been paired with skinny black pants. Mrs. Baker had been appalled when Alexandra had asked her to make the clothes back when she had been crowned. The young Queen had gotten the idea after seeing the people in her country wearing them, along with several pictures in magazines from other countries.

"Why would you be nervous? It's just Nick." Sophia retorted, motioning for Alexandra to show her the next dress, raising an eyebrow. "You know, Nick? The one who's seen us through every idiotic phase since we were little."

"True." Alexandra mumbled, holding up another garment. "I'd rather not think about that. I mean we did some pretty stupid things back then."

"I know...what about that one?" Sophia pointed at a deep pink frock.