Chapter Thirty One: The Two of You Are Perfect, Because You're So Stubborn

"Guess who's home?"

Alexandra turned to look up from the kitchen table as Valek walked in, she had been finishing breakfast while chatting to Mark.

Seeing a willowy figure behind her guard, Alexandra grinned.

"Sophie! You're back!" She exclaimed, getting up.

Hugging her best friend, Alexandra watched as Sophia took in the kitchen, seeing Brian the Sous chef working at a nearby counter. The inevitable question written on her face before she even said it.

"Where's my brother? Isn't Nick supposed to be working here in the mornings?" Sophia asked, looking over at Alexandra and the two guards. The question caused Alexandra to tense up.

From her peripheral vision, she saw Mark and Valek exchange looks, there was a small smirk on Mark's face while Valek shook his head slightly.

"Nick is in his district for the next three months since Lord Crawley approved his trip." Alexandra tried to keep the irritation out of her voice. It had been three weeks since Nicholas had left, and still she had not gotten any replies to the letters she had sent. The thought grated on her nerves.

"Oh..." Sophia said, looking surprised. "He didn't tell me he was going when I called a few weeks ago."

"It was last minute." Mark said, interjecting. "Anyway, we have to check out the Throne Room for your audience with Charon. So why don't you two catch up, we'll be back soon."

Watching as her guards left the room, Alexandra turned to face Sophia, who walked over to the table and sat down. Joining her, Alexandra braced herself.

"Did you and Nick have a row?" Sophia asked quietly, taking a pastry from the dish in front of them, and taking a bite.

"No...why?" The Queen tried to rid her face of any emotion.

"Then why is he in Rosslyn for three months?" Sophia continued. "And why do you look so annoyed?"

Clearly there was no fooling her best friend, Alexandra thought. Having spent two months apart, Sophia was still as perceptive as ever.

"We didn't have a row...he signed up for the trip last year while he was still in the district. Crawley approved it a few days before he left." Alexandra tried evading what else had happened. "I'm just annoyed with Crawley. He didn't send me all the finalized plans or financial details."

"Lie to me all you want, Alex. I know you, something happened...you are a horrible liar."

"We didn't have a row...just a little disagreement." Alexandra admitted, knowing there was no way out. The girl would find out sooner or later, if not from her then definitely from Mark or Valek...or even Nicholas himself.

"Really, when? About what?"

"It was stupid...he was just trying to tell me to keep out of trouble with Crawley's matchmaking ways." She said, still feeling bad about her last conversation with Nicholas.

"Didn't you tell him he was more in danger? I've seen those people...they would love to set their daughters up with a lord." Sophia snickered.

"I know! I told him that he shouldn't worry about me, when he'd be facing the same thing." Alexandra laughed. It was a relief to have Sophia back, she thought. At least there was someone who could sympathize with her.

"Haven't you talked to him yet?" Sophia asked her, as she took another pastry.

"No...I sent him a letter."