Chapter Fifty Three: A Rose Among Thorns

Walking through the darkness, he followed the dim light ahead of him. Sounds could be heard echoing in the forest, the creatures of the night running rampant, while a distinct buzzing of insects could be heard.

They had been walking for what seemed like hours, but the Oracle had assured him that it wasn't a long journey. She probably exaggerated how short the route was, he thought with annoyance.

The summer night had a cold breeze rustling through the trees, Nicholas was glad he had listened and brought his cloak. Following her tall figure, he kept up his pace behind the Oracle.

As they reached a stream, he noticed she was studying the map once more, before looking down to her compass. He suspected it was no ordinary compass, as it glowed an eerie blue colour.

"We go left from here." Ixia said, quickly turning and walking away.

She wasn't one to explain things, he thought as he stayed behind her. Before long, they came up to a house in the woods. The lights were on. It had a foreboding feeling as they walked up to it. Similar to Ixia's house, in the fact that it was far from town, the ominous atmosphere around it made him want to stay as far away as he could. Compared to this place, the Oracle's home seemed almost welcoming, he thought.

He watched silently, as Ixia made her way to the door, her cloaked figure casting a large shadow over the door. Three heavy knocks sounded through the air, he wondered if whoever was inside would answer.

Slowly the door creaked open, light flooding from behind it.

"What do you want?" He heard a hoarse voice ask.

"You, apparently. Step outside Victoria."

"Not on your life." He heard a disgruntled voice say.

It seemed as the door would be shut on them, but Ixia moved quickly, and the door opened with a bang, wrenching whoever it was by the arm, and pulling them into view.

"I asked you politely to come outside." She said, coolly.

"What do you want?"

With the light illuminating them, he saw who Ixia was speaking to. It was another woman, much younger than the Oracle. For a moment, he briefly wondered just how old Ixia was, before returning his attention to the other witch. She looked wild and unruly; her mussed up hair didn't help her appearance at all. She must have been the witch of Saarsgard, he thought.

"I have a few questions for you. Answer them to my satisfaction, and we'll be on our way." Ixia said, motioning to Nicholas' presence, not bothering to loosen her grip on the other woman's arm.

"What? Is he your new apprentice?" Victoria asked, instead of agreeing to the terms.

"No, this is my errand boy...but it seems you may have taken one on."

There was a frosty silence between them. He could tell neither woman was happy to see the other.

"I may have, but there is nothing that says I can't take on an apprentice."

Standing in his spot behind the Oracle, Nicholas was confused. What exactly were they talking about? What said that the witch of Saarsgard could or couldn't have an apprentice?

"No, but the 'The Three' clearly states that a witch can not attack another person with magic, in order to gain their powers. Nor can they use another to do it for them." Ixia said, sternly.

'The Three', Nicholas pondered, realizing soon enough that she was talking about the same book he had found in the Royal Archives. Having not completely read it, he had not thought the book contained the law by which people with magic lived. Thinking about the only other person he knew with magic, He had not thought that as Queen, Alexandra would have to abide by a code of conduct.