Chapter Thirty Two: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

"Ah, Your Majesty. I finally found you."

Turning to look at who was interrupting, Alexandra stepped down from the short ladder against the bookshelf she was searching through, hiding the frown that was threatening to form. She had been in the King's Quarters looking for a few books on environmental practices of other countries, wanting to see what else Seraphine could implement in order to keep the country healthy and prosperous.

"Lord Dimitry Markov." She said, her voice clipped. Why the hell are you here? She wondered, silently.

Motioning for him to take a seat in front of her, she subtly checked the pockets of her dress to see if her seven cornered mirror was on her. Feeling the cool metal against her skin, she felt relieved. At least she had a life line to her guards, in case Markov tried anything.

When the lord in front of her didn't sit, she gritted her teeth, standing away from him with the desk separating them.

"This is rather unexpected. Is there some urgent matter you would like to discuss?" She asked, draping an arm across the top of her chair.

"I just wanted to speak with you. I had a conversation with Lord Crawley a few days ago, and it seems as though I might have offended you on my last visit." He said, watching her with cold blue eyes.

"Oh? How so?" She asked, not entirely sure she wanted to know.

"I wasn't clear about my intentions, Majesty."

"I don't understand."

"Highness, I came then to help Lord Crawley with building three specialized schools. But my real reason for coming was to court her Majesty." He said, looking at her directly. The words very nearly made Alexandra bite her tongue.

"I'm sorry Lord Markov, but I am not interested at this time, nor will I ever be." She said, clearly, not giving him any opening or hope.

Having thought she had put the matter to bed after dealing with Crawley, Alexandra was unamused at the lord's boldness.

"I think if you give me a chance, I could prove to you otherwise."

I think given the chance, I might just kill you, she thought, irritated. When he moved closer to the desk, Alexandra put her hand into her pocket, holding the mirror. She wasn't going to take any chances, she knew that Mark and Valek would feel their own mirrors heat up in their pockets. They would come to her.

"I don't think I can be any more clear, Lord Markov. I'm simply not entertaining suitors at the moment. I'm too busy focusing on my country." Alexandra said, firmly, not breaking eye contact.

"This wouldn't have anything to do with her Majesty already having a suitor, does it?" A small smirk formed on his face, but Alexandra didn't allow his words to get to her. Nicholas had already told her that Markov suspected them, instead she gave him a hard look.

"I do not have a suitor, and I'm not being courted by anyone. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in you if I were looking for a match." She said, a certain satisfaction filled her as she saw him frown.

Stepping forward to lean across the table, Lord Markov gave her a furious look. Alexandra wisely took a step back.

"Your Majesty, plainly speaking, you would be lucky if a man like myself took an interest in you. You who have previously broken off an engagement...some might see you as damaged. However, I on the other hand...Women line up to throw themselves at me, because they know how much power and influence my family has. You would be wise to consider me, Highness." He said, anger coating his voice.