Chapter Thirty: And This Is Where It All Falls Apart

Walking down the hall, Nicholas could see from the window dawn's early morning light starting to break through the cloud cover. The hallway was empty for that matter, dead silence through out the hall save for his and his companions footsteps, as they headed for the spiral staircase.

Following at a distance the two head guards were with him, naturally, because Alexandra had managed to get permission to see him off. With her spending the night in his room again, Nicholas had been surprised when he woke up to find her dressed and ready to walk with him to the stables. He hadn't expected her to wake up so early, a fact which had brought her much amusement.

"I can wake up early, you know." She had smirked from the bed, while he got ready.

"Really? With or without complaints?"

"Have I complained yet?" She had countered. Giving her a tender kiss, he had smiled.

"No. Not yet."

Nicholas had needed to get some final documents that Lord Crawley had left with Alexandra in the King's Quarters, hence the extra trip upstairs. The Queen had been happy to accompany him, they both apparently felt the same when it came to spending the last few moments they had together before his departure.

"Nick...you're not leaving me with Tom again, are you?" Alexandra asked, trying to make light of the situation.

"No..." He chuckled. "I've already told my Sous chef, Brian, to cook for you. Don't worry, there won't be any burnt food this time."

He felt her take hold of his hand as they walked down the stairs. Tugging on his hand, he stopped, turning to look at Alexandra.

"I'm going to miss you."

Leaning into her, he kissed her gently. If he could have postponed the trip, he would have done so in a heartbeat. There was so much that bothered him when it came to leaving her alone for three months, what with Lord Crawley's plans to find her a suitor, that he was unsure what he would be returning to. Nicholas was not entirely ready to leave her side.

"I'll be missing you too, Lex." He said, his hand lifting her chin to face him. "Write to me?"

"I will. It'll be the highlight of my day, writing letters to my lover." Her choice of words making him laugh.

"Do me a favor and try to keep away from Crawley's company." He said, trying to sound as though he was joking. He wasn't entirely sure how to broach the subject with her.

"Like I want to see him more than I have to." She muttered. "Why on earth would he tell you 'Tell her Majesty that she was sorely missed'? Like he would ever miss me? He would die happy if I gave him the chance to be in charge."

"I know...It's just that I don't want Markov to try anything while I'm gone." He admitted, looking away. Her squeezing his hand gently, made him look up at her.

"Don't worry...Mark and Valek will be there. Besides I don't care for him. I told you, I love you, Nick."

"I'll try not to." He said, half-heartedly.

"It's not like I'm going to be worrying about all the men who'll find an excuse to present their daughters to you." She mumbled.

"You know I'd never let anything happen."

"Exactly. So why bring it up?" Alexandra asked, sounding a little hurt.

"I don't know...Crawley has better chances trying to get you to agree to something while I'm away." He said, before thinking his words through. That's not how I meant it, he thought, wincing at the look she was giving him.