Chapter Twelve: The Waiting Game

With time passing by so slowly, the wait for Valek's return had become unbearable. Sitting in a corner of the stable, Alexandra watched as her horse, Europa, ate hay. The black stallion didn't seem to mind that she was hiding out with him for the second day in a row.

Since Nicholas was avoiding her, and Sophia was still angry with her; Alexandra had nowhere to spend her spare time. Mark was busy with additional duties, and had not yet found out about Sophia breaking the rules.

Handing her horse some more hay, she heard the stable door creak open. Stopping her breath and trying to meld herself with the wall, she silently hoped who ever it was would pass by without noticing her.

"You know, it would make my life easier if I could find you right where I left you."

No such luck, Alexandra thought, looking up to see Mark leaning over the divide.

"I was bored..." She mumbled, as he walked in. Mark took a seat beside her on another bale of hay.

"I thought you had a meeting with Lord Crawley?" He asked.

"I did, but it ended early."

"Why didn't you go to the library then?"

"I wanted some fresh air." Alexandra replied, trying to keep herself from looking suspicious. It always annoyed her how guilty she felt when keeping things from Mark or Valek. Shivering due to the chill in the air, Mark laughed at her before pulling her closer. Sitting quietly, they watched Europa move about, happily munching his way through the trough.

"You look cold...shall we head back now?" He asked, seemingly amused as her teeth chattered.

"Okay." Getting up rather defeatedly from the bale of hay, Alexandra brushed off the pieces which had stuck to her clothes before walking over to Mark.

Trudging along to the castle, she found herself dreading going back. She hated fighting with Sophia but the girl didn't make it any easier; and now with Nicholas brought in to the mix, Alexandra didn't know what to expect.

"Have you seen Nick?" Mark interrupted her morose thoughts.

"Uh...no. I haven't." She replied, trying to sound normal.

"I thought you would have at breakfast?" Mark gave her an odd look. Don't panic, Alexandra thought to herself. One wrong move, and Mark would know what happened.

"I had Daniel bring me breakfast in the King's Quarters...I had to read before meeting Crawley."

"Oh...well, I needed to talk to him." Mark mumbled.

Opening the large oak doors for her, Mark waited for Alexandra to enter the castle. No sooner had she set foot inside, she saw Sophia coming down the hall. Staring the girl down, Alexandra didn't notice Mark come to stand beside her, instead she watched as Sophia haughtily turned her back and walked away.

"What was that about?" She heard her guard ask, curiously. Silently berating herself for not coming clean sooner, Alexandra sighed.

"It's nothing...she's just angry with me." Alexandra hoped he wouldn't delve any further.

"It's never nothing with the two of you." He commented as they headed towards the library. Walking in silence Alexandra wondered if he suspected her yet.

"Ahh...that brings me back. It's been a while since the two of you fought." Mark reminisced.

Having grown up together, Mark and Valek had always been the ones she would turn to when she and Sophia had problems. Those two had seen their fair share of spats between the girls, and were usually the ones along with Nicholas who brokered truces between them.