Chapter Twenty Four: A Moment Of Peace

Watching from behind the bushes, he kept a close eye on the surrounding area. No one was allowed to hurt her, and he'd be damned if they got a chance under his watch.

Over head he could hear her voice, laughing at a joke. Looking over he saw that she was still sitting on the bench with him, looking carefree for the first time in years.

"There you are." A voice muttered from behind him. Valek turned his head slightly, only to see Mark coming towards him.

"I've been looking around for you. We have a few men from Eucharista to go through tonight." His cousin informed him.

"Don't worry, I haven't forgotten." Valek said, keeping an eye on the Queen. "Alexandra asked me to watch over her and Nicholas for a little while; since they both had some spare time."

Coming to stand next to him, Mark leaned against a tree.

"She looks happy for once." Valek said, sounding almost wistful, as they viewed the scene carefully.

"I guess it doesn't hurt to finally feel a little bit free." Mark remarked.

It was obvious that without certain people complicating matters, Alexandra looked a little more relaxed; the smile on her face showed them just how much of a difference it made. Although a part of Valek knew he would one day watch the one he and Mark loved most be taken away by someone else, but it didn't stop the small part of him that wanted to be the one making Alexandra happy. He knew Mark probably felt the same. The love she had for them, wasn't the same as the love she had for Nicholas.

Watching as the Queen and the chef-turned-Lord got up, to head back to the castle; Valek saw the Lord take her hand, leading her to the entrance.

"I always thought it would be Nick." He muttered, to no one in particular.

"I know...although I did doubt you when he first came back." Mark said, putting a hand on Valek's shoulder. Though it was sometimes a bit difficult to watch her with their best friend, both of them felt that he was a better choice than her previous suitor.

"I did too...especially after the blue paint incident. I thought for sure she would kill him." Valek said, trying to lighten the mood and clear his head. Laughing, Mark patted his shoulder.

"Those two..." His cousin trailed off. "Anyway, come on...we need to get back to the castle as well."

"Let's go." Valek nodded, as they set off behind the couple.

-----

"A word Nicholas!"

Looking up from where he was dusting flour on the counter, he saw her walk in. Unable to think of what he could have done to earn such a harsh expression, Nicholas caught her eye, but her look gave nothing away.

With the other staff looking around at her curiously, she stared them down.

"Alone, please." She glared.

They turned to give Nicholas a worried look, he nodded, allowing them to leave. He could hear their mumblings as they put their things back where they had been. 'Why is she so hard on him?' 'Sometimes the Queen can be such a tyrant...' 'I wonder what Lord Nicholas did wrong this time?' 'Do you think she wants to get rid of him?' 'I heard they're old friends...'

"Shouldn't you lot be on your winter holidays?" Alexandra asked, as they walked towards the kitchen door.

"We thought Her Majesty had canceled them, so we didn't go." Nicholas' sous chef answered.