Chapter 52

Orange skies. The thunderous tension.

Tony sits, battered, bruise and bloody.

He's cradling his hand.

He failed.

He knows he failed.

Everybody just vanishes.

Only Tony remained.

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

Steve stumbles forward, tripping on his feet before plummeting to the grassy ground in front of him.

He's worn out and panting, dried blood on the side of his face.

There's a figure in front of him but it's blurry.

There's others behind him too, but I can't see their faces.

Steve raises his head and stares at the skies, pure anguish in the blue orbs I know.

"Oh god," He mumbles in agony.

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

"No," I gasp out, shaking my head, once, twice, but it's foreboding, it's distressing. I can feel the coldness as it seeps into my veins, the utter fear as the vision flashes, reality or fake?

I don't know. I'm not supposed to know. 

Not yet, not yet, not yet--

An uncontrollable amount of black is leaking out of my hands without my consent. The vision of the two people I love slithers in and out, Tony, Steve, they've lost. They've lost everything--

"No, please, no," I begged out loud, my voice reaching for their phantoms, my hands mindless in their attempts. But I can't help them, I can't save them. 

They've moved further and further away from me, somewhere I can't reach. Somewhere I'm not meant to reach.

Do you see what you need to do?

I remember.

There was an earth-shattering bang. A shockwave of gunpowder as the tower debris goes up in flames.

Wake up! 

I shouldn't be here, stuck, in a memory that isn't real.

The Quinjet was leaving, I feel it in the air.

With gritted teeth, I try to tear myself away from the trance, ignoring the high-pitched ringing that erupted in my ear drums. It's pain, but the pain is an old friend. I can ignore it, put it in the background, because there are lives at stake. 

By the time I've turned around, breath in my throat, the Quinjet is halfway out of the Overbay hangar having shot the tower that blocked the entrance.

I take a step forward and limp, struggling to keep my rattled emotions contain. The aches spread their tendrils all across my chest and arms. My vision tunnels, and twists, and I almost fall, I almost give in.

"Fly high, fly high!" 

Rhodey is yelling in the distance, jetting his suit upwards with Tony right by his side, the two closing in on the escaping jet. 

Sam is flying ahead, catching up to the two, he shoots out shots, aiming to distract them. 

The moment that ship goes stealth mode it's game over. No one will know where they'd ended up.