Chapter 7

Tony refuses to look me in the eye.

Even as we all made our way back to the Lab, having changed out of our more or less destroyed outfits.

I came back five minutes later, wearing a black hoodie over my sweatpants.

The cut on my back was steadily healing but it still ached like a bitch. It was the least of my worries.

Not with how there were eight very, angry people in this very room.

"All our work is gone," Bruce calls out, checking through our now empty files. "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

Steve who had been quiet thus far shakes his head at the name. "Ultron."

"He's been in everything," Natasha typed at the monitor before her brows furrowed in apparent anger. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Rhodey walks through the floor, a hand around his injured arm. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

"Nuclear codes." Maria deduced as she picked up splintered glass from her toe nails with clippers.

"Nuclear codes," Rhodey nodded, shaking his head with worry. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

Natasha scoffed. "Nukes? He said he wanted us dead."

Steve looked angrier than I'd seen him. "He didn't say dead. He said extinct."

"He also said he killed somebody," Clint leaned over the railing behind us.

Maria frowned. "But there wasn't anyone else in the building."

"Yes, there was."

The voice came from the far corner.

Tony.

His pain wafts back at me from where he is, and I stood up straighter, wanting to know why my brother was in so much distress.

He created a murder bot. He did it behind our backs. The question on everybody's mind was clear;

Why?

Why do it? Why use the Sceptre? Why risk it at all?

In all these years, I've always known my brother to do unorthodox things for his beliefs. While some may argue that he does things for his own benefit, I've seen a side of him that most people haven't.

Therefore, I knew there's more to this.

Tony snaps the monitor with the palm of his hand multiple times in contemplation, before jutting it out to the front of the room, revealing a 3D image of JARVIS's consciousness.

Or, what was once, JARVIS's consciousness.

The yellow lights are destroyed.

Torn apart.

Shattered.

I got up from my seating position which was on the table and approached the image with obvious pain.

"JARVIS..." I mumble, watching the pieces of yellow light flicker on and off. There was no way to know if the intelligence bot was still in there.

Not like this.

Not with how ruined it looked.

"This is insane," Bruce grits his teeth as he joins me at the centre of the room. He eyes what's left of JARVIS, sadness evident in his gaze.