Chapter 20

Odd ball was the first to notice my presence, given he had been facing the outer windows.

Thor followed his gaze as I approach both of them, steps purposely loud so as to not startle anyone.

"You went missing," I stopped just before the edge of the balcony in order to keep a distance and directed my words to Thor loosely.

The god nodded at that, an apologetic expression crossing his face.

"I am sorry. There was something that needed to be done."

I don't know what he saw in his vision, but I know for a fact that it had something to do with the stones I've been seeing.

The question was practically looming in everybody's faces.

Why now?

What's changed?

What did this mean?

Crossing my arms over my chest, I tried to sound relaxed. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Not entirely," Thor confesses, honestly. "I was only shown what I was allowed. Any further than that and we would be tampering with fate."

Fate.

Was all this happening because of that one word?

It didn't sound believable, but then again just a few years ago, no one knew there were such things as aliens.

Look at us now.

"Thor," I cleared my throat, hoping whatever I wanted to ask, didn't come out weak. "I need to ask you something, do you promise to answer truthfully?"

Now concerned, the god of thunder willed his whole body to face me. His red cap billowed in the wind, long blond hair curtaining that jaw.

I don't know what expression I was making but it made him all the more aware.

"Lady Lorelie, whatever it is you require, I will answer it to the best of my abilities."

Good.

I had his word then.

Taking a deep breath, I try to find the words, the sentence forming in my mind like puzzle pieces.

"The Tesseract..." I say. "It's an infinity stone, isn't it?"

Thor's expression changed to one that can only be described as discomfort.

He'd only said that the Scepter was an infinity stone, he didn't mention anything about the Tesseract. I think he was surprised by how quickly I've caught on as compared to the others.

It just made sense somehow. All of it.

I just never knew why.

Until now.

The god of thunder proceeds to hold my gaze, mouth turned down gravely. "I'm afraid so."

That's the secret he's been hiding.

The hidden glances and the odd moments when he would shut up if I did something that no human ever could.

"This... thing--" Odd ball speaks up from beside Thor, breaking the tense atmosphere.

I turn to face him, only to realize he was touching the yellow stone above his head in obvious discomfort.

"What is it?" Stepping forward, I reach out a hand.

He shakes his head. "I can feel it, calling you, but you're not responding."

At that, I halted in my movements, mind processing with rapid speed at what he'd just mentioned.