Chapter 35

"Don't--Why did you-Can you--?"

He sucked at this. No he sucked at everything really.

Now I remembered why I do most of the cooking when we're on missions.

"Put that down!" I ordered, trying my best to grapple the spoon from him that he so gingerly, stuck into his mouth.

"Nope," He holds it above his head and stares down at me with an expression I can only convey as pure mischief.

I know what he was expecting me to do.

So instead of fathoming it, I place my hands on my hips and tilted my head to the side, offended.

"Are you expecting me to freaking jump to get that?"

It's the tone and the way I smile, that Bucky has to pause like a deer in headlights.

He nervously paled at my words before lowering his hand and giving the spoon back to me sheepishly.

Huh. That teached him.

"Thank, you," Snatching it, I turn back around to the sink and washed it under the water. "Now be good and sit right over there."

Bucky walks over to the other side of the counter, muttering something along the lines of; he won't sit here, if it wasn't for the fact that the food smelled so good.

I shake my head and continued my task, which was slowly stirring at a bowl of sauce meant for the pasta boiling away at the stove.

Through the foggy windows, the early afternoon light can be seen as it entered the studio apartment.

I've been knocked out cold since yesterday when I first arrived. I remembered hugging my protector and crying and then suddenly feeling so tired that I just wanted to collapse.

Maybe I did because I couldn't remember.

He simply carried me over to his bed and laid me there while he stayed awake at my side, worried as hell about what was going on.

Yesterday's conversation had confused him, bothered him even. However he doesn't ask what brought me here. He doesn't even ask; why now?

He just trust me enough to know, I was in a really bad situation.

Its things like that, that made me grateful I found my Protector. So for now, I won't focus on the problems yet to be solved.

I'll focus on the now, which was the fact that I was hungry and I needed to eat.

"All these years alone and you still don't know how to cook?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow as I flipped the burner off.

He leans over the counter and crosses his arms over his chest.

"You and I both know, no matter what I do, I turn everything into ash."

I bit my lip upon remembering what he meant. "How does one burn, ice cream?"

And then the laugh was out before I could stop it. The spoon clatter to the bowl and I practically gasped, holding onto my stomach at the thought.

The memory is swift and fast.

I can still remember the fire alarm ringing like crazy before I ran into the kitchen only to find the oven spewing flames. If it wasn't for the fact that I used my abilities to hurl it out the window, the whole safe house would have burned down.

"Take that back," Bucky lunges at me and I dodged, still cackling. He huffs. "Take it back, Ved'ma--"

"But..." I try, I really try to bite my tongue. "...it's ice cream..."