86

Kale

I dreamt of her. It was so real I could feel her warmth against my body and taste the salt of her skin. and. She was sleeping beside me, dark wisps of her hair gently framing her face as the rest consumes the pillow beneath her head. I can hear her soft breaths through her slightly parted pink lips, and I find myself wanting to kiss her - but I daren't, she looks so peaceful. Her bare shoulders peak beneath the soft silken sheets and I find myself wondering if she is wearing anything beneath them. She makes a small sound and her body softly shifts as she begins to wake up. I wait for her eyes to slowly open and I find my breath frozen in my chest. The seconds which pass seem like an eternity and as her eyelashes begin to flutter I feel my body begin to surface from sleep. I fight to grasp hold of the dream, but the more I fight the further I rise. In an instant, her eyes flash open and my heart springs to life at the sight of her startling blue of her iris. For a moment the dream is frozen and I am suspended captured in her gaze, warmth humming through my body. Then her pupils shrink and alarm screams across the planes of her face as her brows furrow and her nostrils flare. A weight hits my chest and I suddenly cannot breathe, Kaela's mouth gapes open and high pitched moaning scream blasts from her lungs.

Air rushes down my throat and I wake to heave and coughing jerking up in bed as my hands flail out gripping the sheets. My ears are ringing and as I fight the lingering shockwaves of the dream I realise that the sound I can hear is real. The wolves are calling.

I can feel my heart racing as I blink furiously recognising my surroundings and realising that I am still in Haley's room. She's lying in bed next to me her eyes wide open and staring at me, "Kale..." She starts. But my body is already moving, legs swinging heavily over the side of the bed as I lurch to my feet and bolt to the door. My head is spinning as the shrill inhuman cry reaches a crescendo and a wave of pain claws the inside of my skull. I slide into the hallway my body crashing drunkenly into the opposite wall as I half run half stagger towards the living room, sleep a heavy weight on my limbs. Caleb emerged ahead of me and I follow after him through the living room and out the ranch slider door. As our feet hit the damp morning grass the cry of the wolves begins to fade. My breath heaved from my chest and fogged the cold morning air. As the cry of the wolves crept to foreboding silence Caleb and I wait our eyes staring at the tree line.

Five tall shadows began to emerge from the forest and I felt my body tense. Beside me, a deep rumble grew in the base of Caleb's throat. Tension filled the air and behind us, I heard the wary footsteps of three of the others guys emerging from the house to join us. As the wolves slowly left the cold shadow of the forest behind them, their features became visible, Lucas was in centre and his eyes met mine with a furious heat. Something was very wrong. Gritting my teeth I slowly walk to meet them, the guys flanking behind me. As we drew closer it became evident from the shake of his shoulders and the trembling of the muscles in his arms that Lucas was not stable, he was dangerous. Caleb's growl rumbled deeper and I could see his body already itching to retaliate. "Hold it!" I hissed as my palm pressed against his chest. Caleb snarled his eyes burning but he made no further steps forward. Lucas motioned to his pack mates and it was then just me and Lucas walking to meet each other.

At this point, anything could happen. Lucas looked spring loaded like he could jump at me any second. Before we stopped before one another Lucas voice barked loud and angry, "They came back!" My heart stuttered as heat prickled up my back. "People are dead and two of our girls are gone!"

My chest ached, how had I missed them? They'd been so close again, and I hadn't stopped them! I should never have slept if I had only..."This is all your fault!" yelled Lucas stomping forward one more step, his chest rose and fell as quick furious breaths panted from his lips.

"I'm sorry." The words spilt from my lips as emotions began to rage through me.

Lucas scoffed rolling his eyes. "Oh, you're sorry."