Chapter 36

I sat at the table in between Kale and Harry, my fork hovering in front of my mouth as I grimaced before hesitantly putting it in my mouth and swallowing the whole thing down in one big gulp. My eyes watered and I blindly reached for my near empty glass of water swigging the rest of it's glorious contents down my burning throat marginally extinguishing the fire. Ehhh I can't take any more of this. I groaned putting my empty glass back down on the table, squeezing my eyes shut and begging for the burning sensation to go away. I squinted through one eye at Kale sitting next to me he didn't look too better off. Well okay he was a little better off, he didn't have an empty glass of water in front of him and he didn't have his eyes screwed up in torture as I did. But like nearly everyone else on the table apart from the few that had a portion from the small pan of 'not-so-hot' curry, he had his slightly rosy face, and glistening eyes which occasionally leaked a curry steamed tear down his face. Nearly everyone on the table had just about had enough. Harry seemed to be the only one that was actually enjoying the curry. He appeared oblivious to the hotness of the chili filled torturous curry that had everyone sweating and burning up from head to toe. "Well. I'm full..." I mumbled pushing my plate away before resting my head on my arms. Several other plates were pushed away until only Harry remained eating. Kale's seat creaked under his weight as he leant back in his seat in the classic guy posture; his arms crossed over his chest and his legs no doubt stretched outwards and spread widely under the table. The room became rather quiet, only the sound of Harry's fork scraping up the remaining somewhat flavorsome pieces of rice before putting his fork to rest at the side of his plate. "Ahhh." He sighed happily. I shifted my head on my arms so that I could see him. "Now that's what I call curry."  He beamed I big smile on his face, complete with rosy pink cheeks. "Well glad you enjoyed it." I choked giving an exasperated laugh.

“Hah bet you did…” Chortled James his voice lathered with sarcasm.

Brody who was sitting next to him chuckled in agreement while making choking noise.

“Aw come on guys.” Said Ben his arms crossed over his chest shaking his head at them.

“Don’t tell me you enjoyed it!” Laughed James.

“Hey it’s better than anything you could cook!” Ben shot back with a smug smile.

“Fuck you Ben! When was the last time you tried to cook!” Growled James glaring at him.

“Aw come on guys break it up!” Called Caleb waving his arms at a cease fire.

“Butt out Caleb!” Hollered Brody glaring over.

“Nah if you guys are gonna go yelling at each other and pickin fights you can get your asses outside!” Growled Ryan pounding his fist on the table.

There was a moment of silence as they all glared at each other waiting for the next assault.

“Well.” Cried Mitch cheerfully clasping his hands together.

“I don’t know about you guys but I need… think some ice-cream would be rather nice right now.” He said standing up and looking backwards and forewords between the blokes with hopeful eyes.

“Sweet! I’m in.” Smiled Harry rubbing his hands together happily.

“Please tell me you guys have boysenberry ripple!” I mumbled my head still in my arms.

“We’ll go see won’t we Ben” Said Mitch smiling and begging Ben to come with him to stop the argument.

Ben scowled and stood up pushing his chair back, his fists clenched at his side.

“Yeah, alright.” He strained out, and forcing himself to walk away from the table.

James and Brody sniggered as Ben walked out with Mitch. “Yeah man walk away.” Whispered Brody.