Chapter 63

The car was slowing and I fumbled for my phone flicking onto the quick dial list, my eyes flicking between my phone and the car. My feet slowly shuffling backwards against the wall. All my muscles felt like they’d just been plunged into a thick jelly, every action was painfully slow like I was stuck in a nightmare.

The car pulled to a stop. I clicked the dial button.  Car lights dimming the door opened and I was choking on air my knees trembling. The phone began to ring.

“Kaela honey… what are you doing?”

I just about collapsed with relief.

I staggered forward and then ran round to the passenger side door.

It was Kale.

“Kaela you alright?” Kale asked frowning.

I slammed the door shut and Kale let out a loud growl.

“Drive. Just drive.” I gasped. “Please.”

Kale saw the tears in my eyes and then kicked the car into gear without saying a word.

I locked my gaze on the men not daring to look away.

“They’re here, right there!” I pointed to the red mustang and the three tall men who were walking down the street towards the apartment block. 

“They were circling round the block, I stepped out thinking it was you, and then they pulled over.” The words tumbled out my mouth as I gripped the sides of the seat.

They were laughing and pushing each other as they walked down the road .

I stared after them as Kale sped past my heart still hammering in my chest.

They looked up, their human eyes squinting at the sudden brightness of the car lights.

“What….I thought…”

I sank into the seat, slipping down the leather. They’re human.

Humans. I was wrong.

“Are you okay?”

“….there were two men! Two men on the stairs at the apartment block. Their eyes…they were shifters Kale.” I exclaimed turning to face him.

Kale tensed in his seat and shot me a furious look. “Did they hurt you?” 

His eyes burned in the dark as he stared into mine.

“No.”

I craned my head to look again at the three men, they were still there just casually ambling down the street. The car sped round the corner.

Kale’s chest rose and fell  his breathing quick and agitated.

“Did they –“

“They came up the stairs” I muttered turning back round. “ I ran…they….they disappeared I don’t know.”

Why had they disappeared? They’re eyes glowed they weren’t human.

  “They were there… I didn’t just …”

“What were you doing outside? I thought you’d wait for me to text you.”

“Nardia said she saw your car. So I went out.”

“I sent you a text.” Kale sighed angrily.

“I know,  I checked my phone when I realized you weren’t there.”

The conversation stopped there. In the silence of the ride home a warm feeling in my chest begun to bloom. Tonight.  My thoughts were clearing leaving an open and strange emptiness which seemed to make room for the tingling nerves which were swelling in my stomach. We didn’t look at each other the whole ride home. The air felt tense leaving no air to breath in. It worsened the closer we got to home with the rising anticipation.