Chapter 78

Cold sweat drips down my arms and my body trembles as Kale floored the accelerator. The car screeched forward and sped off through the city. My hand flew to my heart as I fought to steady my breathing, panic and adrenaline still chorusing through my body. His voice barely a whisper and very calm Kale asked "Was Trent in there?" As Kale's jaw tightened I watched as his eyes slowly burned fluorescent green. Still in shock I opened my mouth to reply but found I had no words. In my silence Kale had his answer, and his hands tightened around the wheel like a vice. Small shudders of rage rippled through his muscles and my breath caught in my throat as I sank further down in the seat. I jumped a little as Kale's hand shot out to his phone and pressed for speed dial. It barely had chance to finish the first ring before it was answered by Jame's gruff voice on the other end. Kale's voice was short and clipped as he fought to contain himself and keep his eyes on the road. "Trent's at the school. Meet us back at home."

Kale hung up and then dialled again another number, Caleb answered. "We'll be there in ten. Make sure everyone is ready, Trent is at the school... She's fine, but he'll be coming for her." Caleb hissed a reply and then hung up.

As the car sped up the dark roads my stomach felt sick. This was really happening. I held my hands tightly in my lap to stop them from shaking as we tore down the gravel drive to the house. My eyes scoured the dark shadows of the tree line and  darkness which cloaked the edges of the house. Every so often there would be a subtle movement and a pair of illuminate predatory eyes and the subtle flick of a tail. My jaw clenched as amber eyes peeped through the leaves of a low shrub followed by pointed ears and a long grey muzzle. The wolves were here. His eyes met mine and ever so subtly the wolf dipped his head in greeting, and then he was gone.

As we pulled up to the house, all the lights were on and dark shadows moved behind the drawn curtains and blinds. Shakily I climbed out of the car into the cold autumn night air, goosebumps crawling across my skin and up my back. Kale's strong hand gripped mine and he pulled me towards the house without saying a word. I sucked in a sharp breath as Jace stalked round a dark corner, and Kale paused to wait. Jace's brows were closely knit and his eyes dark as he briefly looked to me and then Kale. "Lucas is waiting for you inside" he muttered grimly clenching his fists tightly at his sides. Kale seemed to have expected this and did not seem fazed at the wolf alpha being inside our home. "James should be on his way. I don't know how much time we've got before Trent comes. Stay on your guard." Kale pulled me up the steps and before we entered the house he stopped and called out to Jace. "Jace...go careful."

Jace smirked and saluted him sharply before disappearing back into the shadows. The front door opened a crack and Ryan's dark eyes peeped round. Confirming it was us he stepped back and let us in. The living room was a bustle of nerves and a number of highly irritable testosterone filed shifters both feline and wolf shifters alike. Behind Caleb I spotted Lucas' tall frame and his wavy dark blonde hair. The atmosphere in the room shifted they became aware that we had entered. Slowly every set of eyes turned to rest on me and my insides churned. They were all in this mess because of me. 

Lucas approached Kale with a steady gaze the normal easy smile has been replaced by an unreadable expression. "Kale" He nodded in a stiff greeting. "Kaela" He murmured his pupils dilating as his gazed turned to rest upon me. " I understand Trent pursued you at the school. Are you certain it was him?"

Kale bristled slightly at the question of doubt, but I forced myself to hold Lucas' steady gaze as I gave him a fixated nod. "Yes." I shuddered as the memory of his scent burned through my mind, his eyes and his taunting whisper '... Kaeeeellaaa.'

Lucas' eyes narrowed slightly and then he turned back to address Kale, "I have ten of my best fighters dispersed about your land ready at my command. I would have assigned more but you must understand that this intrusion also affects my pack, so I need to assure that we are also safe."
 My eyes widen in shock at his generosity, I knew they said they would help, but bringing another ten shifters to our aid increased our odds tremendously. "Thank you." Kale nods heavily, he knows we are now in their dept. Lucas breathes a sigh and then manages a weak smile, "No worries. Lets work together tonight and see these monsters dead."