Chapter 54

Kale threw Andrew to the ground, and as he turned to walk away his eyes caught mine and I felt like my heart was being plunged into icy dark waters. His back to me he strode away, shoulders tense and muscles bulging with anger which was being bottled down in thin transparent glass. James stepped out of the way and stared at me. His mouth was grim, and even in his own eyes I could see the disappointment. He and the uni boys already knew what had happened. Kale was the only one who hadn’t known about the real Andrew problem.
“Shit.” Gasped Andrew choaking a breath.  I could hear him heavily breathing only a few feet behind me. He brushed down his shirt which was now crinkled from the iron like grip Kale had had on him only seconds ago.
“Shit!” He gasped again.
No one gave him any attention. They were either looking at Kale who was storming off to the car, or staring at me.
My eyes hadn’t left his back as Kale grew smaller in the distance and rounded a corner of one of the school buildings. My lips trembled in mixed emotions. Ass! He’s an ASS!!!! I clenched my fists guilt throbbing thought my head .
“Kaela he’s just pissed, he’ll get over it. “ Said Ryan approaching me.
“Come on, you can ride with me.”  He said reaching out, his fingers brushing my arm. Shifted out of his reach, not looking at him and my eyes blurring.

“Pissed? HAH! That guys a fucking ass hole , did you see the way he just threatened me?!?!” Screamed Andrew.
“Kaela, come on... he’ll be fine , don’t cry..”  Ryan muttered standing beside me.
I furiously swiped the tears that were welling in my eyes across my arm. “Fuck off Ryan.” I muttered.
My breathing quickened panic and anger fizzling through me. Ryan stepped in front of me blocking my view from the direction Kale had disappeared.
I stared up at him incredulously. Who the fuck does he think he is!?  He opened his mouth to speak.
“Get the fuck out of my way!!” I yelled shoving him to the side and striding off.
“Kaela!! No, leave him!”
James took a step towards me shaking his head.
Ryan’s hand gripped hold of my wrist holding it tightly.
“LET ME GO!!” I screamed fighting against him desperately as he pulled me back towards him and locked his arms round me. “LET ME GOO!!! LET GOO!!!!”  I screamed into his chest hitting him as hard as I could hot angry tears escaping my eyes and leaking into his shirt.
“Let her go Ryan.”
I stopped struggling.  “Let her go.”
Ryan released me.
I darted away from him and turned to Caleb. Caleb was Kales closest mate. His best friend. And he stood there passively portraying no emotion. He looked at me fixating me with his hazel eyes a spark of warning unveiled in the dark green outer of his iris. “You can’t keep her from him.  Or her from him. You should know that.” He said addressing Ryan.
Ryan said nothing, and without another word spoken I took off at a run. My blood was pounding in my head desperation quickening my speed. As I rounded the corner and saw him only a hundred meters away I slowed to a stride. “HEY!” I yelled. Kale’s shoulders hunched. He had heard me. He carried on walking his car only a few meters away.
“HEY!” I yelled quickening my pace.
“ASS HOLE DON’T WALK AWAY FROM ME!!! FUCKING ASS HOLE!!!” I screamed my eyes hot and prickly. Kale stopped his shoulders beginning to quickly rise and fall. I stopped and waited for him to turn around. He just stood there his head ducked down to the ground and feet widely spread on the black tarmac. “ASS!” I yelled.
“LIAR!” He roared back spinning round on his heal in a flash. “FUCKING LIAR! BITCH! SLUT! DIRTY BETRAYING LYING HUMILIATING BITCH!” He spat each word a knife wound.
 I swallowed.
“Why did you lie?!” He asked his voice quiet.
I stood their dumb struck. My mouth dry.
“Why did you lie?!!” He said his voice louder, harsher.
“He had nothing to do with you Kale, the GUYS were THERE! NOTHING, happened!” I yelled angrily storming towards him scared he was going to jump in the car.
“You LIED Kaela! Tell me why!?!”
“Shit maybe because you were going to go all ape shit and over react and just make a HUGE FUCKING MESS!!! THAT’s why we didn’t tell you!!!”
I cringed as the ‘we’ slipped out.
A sick slow smirk slid onto his face his eyes darkening. “Yeah. ‘WE’. Everybody else knew. Everybody knew and nobody saw fit to tell me truth. So you just played me for the idiot I am. Well gee THANKS! Let’s ALL SCREW WITH KALE SHALL WE!!!” He roared suddenly only a foot away from me.
“What so you wanted me to tell you?! Yeah oh YEAH THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED OUT FINE!!! You would have strode into school and made a bigger scene then Tina at a prom!!!! You don’t need to know everything that’s happening in my life!!!!!! STOP sticking your nose into my shit, you arrogant asshole!”I screamed rising onto my tip toes and gaining two inches so that I was closer to eye level.  Kale glowered at me a guttural rumble rolling up his chest and through his clenched teeth. He glared me down with such a stare that I could feel myself beginning to shrink back down. He doesn’t own me!! He can’t just expect to know everything in my life! DAMN HIM!!”
“You’re not my boyfriend.” I hissed.
Kale took a sudden deep inhale of breath his pupils contracting, and irises darkening to a deep turbulent blue. For a moment neither of us breathed. Then it was as if someone had just slipped a mask over his face. He turned to stone. A cold expression chiselling his features, tight lipped and jaw still clenched he turned and walked away. I watched him get into his car, the door shutting quietly.  
I didn’t move as he reversed around me, not even meeting my eyes in the rear view mirror, before leaving the car park at a slow 50 Km/hr. “Fine.”
My fists clenched and unclenched, my heart pounding in my chest.
“FINE!!”  I screeched after his car as it disappeared down the road, my voice hoarse and dry.

I pushed the food around on my plate shifting each individual grain of rice, and stabbing  harshly at a sprig of broccoli. “He’s not coming.” Said Caleb entering the room.  I brought the fork down away from my mouth my eyes snapping in his direction. “...He’s not hungry.”  Caleb gave a weak smile and  went to sit down at his chair, leaving the one opposite me empty.
Not coming!?! THAT SULKY ASS SHIT!!!
I shoved the broccoli into my mouth and chewed angrily before stabbing a piece of chicken, the prongs of the fork piercing deep into it’s golden flesh. As I chewed I looked up across the table.  Haley was carefully sipping a glass of water, not meeting my gaze. James and a few of the other guys looked in my direction passive expressions plastered on their faces. Only Caleb gave any signs of reassurance. Even Ryan sitting next to me said nothing.  I swallowed , the food beginning to lose it’s flavour.  I chucked my fork down and snatched up my glass downing the liquid in one gulp. “Not Hungry.” I grumbled pushing my chair back and leaving the table.
“Kaela.”
I stopped and turned around. Jace was looking at me his eyes furrowed slightly and a grim expression on his face. “Leave him alone. He needs time to himself.”
I grit my teeth. The words which had just left his lips were words which I never would have imagined would have ever have been spoken by Jace.
“He’ll come round eventually.” Ryan said putting down his glass of juice. “He’s just...”
I didn’t stay to hear the last part of that sentence; I disappeared down the hall turmoil of emotions ricocheting though my body. He’s an ASS!!!!! A controlling fucking dick faced fuck!!!ARHHH!!!
As I neared the end of the hall I saw the faint glow of light from beneath Kale’s door. I felt torn between bursting into his room and screaming oblivion, and just sinking into warm bath water. He’s sulking like the juvenile prick he is. He doesn’t deserve my attention!
I stalked into my room and grabbed my pyjamas out from under my pillow and then stormed to the girls bathroom.
Slamming the bathroom door I dropped my clothes onto the floor and began to run the bath tub with hot steaming water. Steam rose quick and fast fogging the air and clinging to the cold glass of the mirror which blurred out my cold blue eyes and stubbornly set jaw.  My feet began to cool on the tiled floor as I waited for the water to rise. As the water rose above the half way mark I turned off the taps and stepped straight in.  I hissed the water burning my skin as I lowered myself in the tub. Pins and needles pierced my skin as the boiling hot water soaked straight through my skin searing the muscle and I shut my eyes tightly my mind was blinded. Slipping back in the tub the water rose scorching over my shoulders and enveloping my neck. I sucked in deep breaths trying to calm myself in the heat of the water. My mind pinpointed the water, my skin, the burn. All thoughts of Kale vanquished from my mind, and as the water began to numb my red skinned body all I was left with was the cold metal studded weight of loneliness in my chest.
My head pounded blood rushing straight to my head and sounding in my ears. I felt like my brain was going to pop under the pressure.  Then behind the shield of my eyelids I heard the muffled  voices of men. I frowned. None of the voices were recognisable.  About to open my eyes I lifted my arms out of the tub and gripped the sides to pull myself up. Images then intruded my vision hitting me hard. A gasp left my mouth, and my nails dug into the white porcelain of the bathtub. I held my breath waiting for the past to resurface into my fragile mind.

Through my eyelids closed, I could see the formation of a room. The brightness of a large window, and the silhouette of a single figure standing.  I watched still fully aware of the warm bathwater still surrounding me in the tub. The image began to focus, and then  before it sharpened , it changed to a different angle. It was a shadowed room, lit by the faint glow of moonlight which was passing through the window.  I could work out the shape of a couch,  some chairs, the dim glow of light from under two closed doors on different walls of the room.  A carpet was on the floor, it faint pattern only just visible.  ‘Tick.Tock.Tick.Tock...’
In the bathroom my muscles tensed.  ‘ Tick..Tock...Tick..Tock..  ’
The voice was slow and dictated. And male.
I had never heard the voice before, yet I could hear it as if I was in the very room.  It was not a voice which had been spoken from lips of the man by the window. It was somehow different, slightly echoed, and yet still very prominent. Spoken as if through the mind link when we’ve shifted.
In the room laid out behind my eyelids the glow of ten if not twenty pairs of eyes shifted into focus.  I don’t like this... do I want to see this? My mind struggled to awaken back into the bathroom, but  a small part of me was hooked onto the scene, waiting for it to unfold. This was not like the others. This, was not my past. It was not my memory.

In the room the door suddenly flew open , and my body jumped slightly, and there was the faint slushing of bath water. A bright golden light filtered into the room, and was then blocked by the very large figure who entered with amber glowing eyes. He stepped into the room, a smaller figure following after him. The larger growled, “Jesus...” Muttered the smaller who turned to shut the door shrouding the room back into it’s darkness.
A vibrating chuckle spilled through the room. ‘Tick..tock. Boys, that was close.’
The new comers eyes slid to a figure who was leant against a wall, the bright gleam of a metal blade glinting in his hands. He flicked it round his fingers. And then snapped it away, hiding it into the dark folds of his jacket.
“Traffic.” Said the larger figure with a grunt.
The pair strode into the centre of the room approaching one of the couches.  A hiss sounded from the couch as one of the shadowed figures slid of the couch and skittered out of the way. The large guy sat down on the couch the springs shrieking in protest. I watched as the smaller figure hovered by the couch. No one said a word. He took a step forward to the small gap in the middle, and several growls sounded. The small figure held up his hands. “Kidding!” He whispered loudly backing off and reluctantly sitting on the floor.  
Out of the shadows a slim tall figure strode, every pair of eyes following with every light click of heals. She entered the floor lit by moonlight, and approached the solitary figure by the window. I watched as she leant towards him and whispered something in his ear. He nodded slightly, and she backed off slinking back into the shadows in the corner of the room.
“Gareth, Elijah and Evan.” Came a cold this time familiar voice.
My mind scrambled to take catch on who it was that had spoken.
Three guys stepped approached the figure by the window and stood a respective meter away and silently waited.
“Go to Boise. Keep tabs. Call me if anything interesting happens.”
A cold chill swept over my skin, my stomach sinking like an anchor to the bottom of the tub.
I watched as the figure by the window turned round, his grey blue eyes glowed ominously in the dark. Trent.
“Go.”
The three men turned and left the room.
I jumped when a bookcase was suddenly thrown into the centre of the room, books flying across the carpet and scattering across the floor their pages rumbled and bent. My gaze turned to the culprit. I couldn’t see his face, but he was tall, and his head was down cast, hiding his eyes.
“Get him out here.” Growled Trent.
No one moved.  Then Trent snapped his fingers angrily, and two figures moved and grabbed hold of the man roughly holding his hands behind his back. As he was escorted from the room, Trent said a name. “Nathan...”
His head raised and a bright blue pair of eyes turned and glared Trent down. Trent chuckled icily and the room faded out and I was left staring at my knees which were pressed up against my stomach.

My mind reeled over what I’d just seen. Where was Trent? What was he doing?
There coming to Boise.  Gareth,  Elijah and Evan. Kale.  My heart sunk. Had he seen? We’d shared visions of my past before, but this was different. This...was this now? Had that just happened.

Where they really coming to Boise? Where these three men really going to plague my life and bring forth the demon of my past?
I choked in a breath. Had I really been holding it? I realized I was hyperventilating, I had goose bumps all down my arms and my legs. Panic.
My chest rose and fell, my jaw was chattering and tears prickled my eyes. It’s just a fluke, nothing to worry about. It’s fine..its not going to happen..it’s fine... oh god!
I heaved in a big sob, and sank back my head resting on the tubs hard surface. My hands flew over my face and I cried.
I don’t want this.I don’t want this. I felt so alone and overcome with growing fear.
Why were they coming?
“Kaela?”
My head shot up, water in the bath sloshing loudly.
“Kaela? Are you okay?”
I heaved a sigh and sank back down. Dan was outside , and he knocked again lightly.
“Kaela?!?”
“Go away.” I whispered my voice horse from crying.
“You sure? We can talk if you like??”
“I’m fine, just...just please. Leave me.” I muttered.
There was a thud against the bathroom door, as he hit his head. I heard him sigh. It was quiet  for a few minutes before the door creaked, as his weight left, the sounds of his footsteps disappearing down the hall.
Once he’d left, I wished I hadn’t told him to leave.  Alone.
I shivered and stood up out of the tub and onto the bathmat, wrapping myself into a towel.  As I dried off, I caught sight of the mark of my past. The long six inch scar that travelled diagonally down my back. Biting my lip I pulled on my pyjama singlet hiding it from view. All it would take, would be the wrong style t-shirt, dress, or an inappropriate stripping session, and my secret would be revealed to the world. My eyes sought the loose fabric of the singlet on my back, even though it was covered, I could still feel it. The slash of the one claw which had caught me. Ripping of the flesh, the sting, and the low guttural roar.
Refusing to think any more of the scar, I whipped my stinging eyes and pulled on the rest of my clothing.
I managed to leave the bathroom with my head held high, and all evidence of tears hidden. Mean while my mind was screaming at me. As my lip started trembling, I picked up my pace desperate to get to my room before I was caught.  I sped round the corner , my bedroom door now in sight, Jace popped his head round the corner of his bedroom door and frowned at me. “You okay?”
“Geeezus fucking Chriiiist Jace, you’re actually capable of human sensitivity?!? Too bad it’s not wanted now fuck off!” I snapped storming into my room, and baring the door with my body weight.
“Shit bitch, just asking!!” He growled.
“Not that I care....” he muttered quietly shutting his bedroom door.
I hadn’t failed to notice the still glowing light beneath Kale’s door as I’d entered my room.  I knew he’d heard. Of course he had.
I gripped the handle of the door and twisted it slowly. My hand released the door knob and a tear slipped down my cheek.
It was dark in my room, even with the moon outside casting a glow in through the window. My bed was empty and I crept towards it. Pulling back the covers and slipping, pulling the cold covers up around me.  I lay in the dark, thinking about the golden glow of light from next door. Please...please...forgive me... I don’t want to be alone.
“Kale...” I whispered.
I listened to the tick of the clock next to me, waiting hopefully for the sound of his bedroom door opening.  Imagining his warm arms wrapping round me, and his breath at the back of my neck as his kissed me softly. His body pressed against mine, cocooning me in warmth, comforting me and creating the safest place on earth.
“Kale...?”
I waited.
And I waited.
The only arms which found me in the night, where the cold arms of sleep.

The next morning the covers next to me where still empty. Kale avoided me all morning. All I saw of him was the dust of his car as he drove off without me. 
School was sluggish. I didn’t see much of the boys, I spoke briefly with Ben and Haley. Even Ryan seemed to avoid me, giving me the smallest of smiles as we past each other in the halls.
That lunch time I sat with Nardia, and Tom.
“You okay?” Asked Nardia, popping a fry into her mouth.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” I said giving her a reassuring smile.
“Whatever...” she sang rolling her eyes at me and not believing me for a second.
“I just need to keep my mind of ...stuff...” I muttered taking a swig of coke.
“Talk to me.” I said smiling.
“I want to be a doctor.” Said Tim.
Nardia and I looked at him and we both laughed.
“What?!” Tom grinned cutting up pieces of lettuce and putting it carefully into his mouth without getting covered in mayonnaise. “I want to go to Uni, do all the sciences and then get a doctors degree.” He nodded chewing his salad.
“ Then what are you doing taking PE and drama?” I asked pulling a face.
“Oh...my Dad. He say’s it’s a disgrace to the world of men, not living up to the strength and testosterone blooded male!” he said putting on a deep voice which had me choking with laughter as it was so out of character for Tom.
“So I have to take PE and Drama, or I can’t take the sciences.” He shrugged.
 What about you Nardia?”
“I wanta be an English teacher, so I can get with Mr Fosberg.” She grinned wiggling her eyebrows.
“How old will he be then?! He’s like twenty six already, he’ll be in his thirties!”  I laughed.
“I know, but he’s HOT!” She said biting a chip in half a wild glint in her eyes.
“Mind if I take a seat?”
Nardia’s eyebrows went up and her mouth dropped open ever so slightly. If frowned at her and looked over my shoulder. Caleb stood with his bag slung over his shoulder and an apple in his hand.
I sighed. I couldn’t send him away, he’d helped me yesterday. “Yeah sure.. take a seat.” I muttered waving my hand. Nardia kicked me under the table and mouthed the words. ‘YOU KNOW HIM!?”
I hid an amused smile. “Ehhh, Caleb this is Nardia, and this is Tom.”
“Oh hey, nice to meet you. I flat with Kaela.”  Caleb smiled casually.
“You do?” Nardia squeaked. “I didn’t know you flatted?”  She said sending me a look of hatred. “ I’d do anything to get away from my brothers. Any chance, you need another flatty??... Mate?” She asked winking at him.
I coughed, and laughed.
Caleb was speechless . “I was kidding!!!” Nardia exclaimed. Her eyes then wondered the room awkwardly. “But seriously.”
She gave him a dead pan look.
Caleb said nothing and took a bite out of his apple.
“Yeahh....... okay.... I don’t actually think we have any room, but if someone moves out, I’ll let you know!” I said filling in for him.
Nardia shrugged.
“Come on English buddy, lets gooooo!” Came  a loud voice from behind me, a large hand slapping my shoulder.
“What?!”
I turned round to see Dan stood behind me.
“But you’re not IN my English class!?” I said raising an eyebrow.
“Welll.... I Am now. Lets goo!” He said ushering me out of my seat.
“Let me guess you flat with him too?” 
Nardia looked like a rabbit in the headlights, and gave me a look of disbelief.
“Yep , sure do babe I’m Daniel Nickleson, but you can call me Dan.” Dan said turning on the charm and winking at her.
“Eww don’t spew your flirtatious shit on my friend! Piss off!!!” I cried slapping him as I got out of my seat.  “Come on!” I said grabbing hold of his bag and pulling him backwards.
“Bye..” Nardia said a light tinge of pink on her cheeks.
“Byyeeeee.” Dan grinned giving a wave before spinning round on his heals to walk beside me.
I scowled as we left the cafeteria. “What?” Asked Dan an innocent look on his face. I punched his shoulder which resulted in a loud boyish laugh escaping his mouth.

“Shiitt, this guy really doesn’t like you!” Dan chuckled behind his hand staring at the teacher incredulously as he wrote my name down for detention.
“No, really!? I never would have guessed. Good deduction Sherlock!” I muttered. “Now tell me why  the hell you’re in my English class!?”
“Ehh.... the guys thought, it might be a good idea. Especially with primadona -foot ball-player-blonde-flirt-dick sitting behind you.” He said chucking a thumb behind him to where Andrew was sitting leant back in his seat while a premature blonde whispered in his ear.
“I won’t have any whispering in my class!!” Yelled Mr Crowley clenching the whiteboard marker in his chubby fat hand. He glared at me. I rolled my eyes.
 Mr Crowley carried on with his droning speech, and I propped my head up with my hands trying to stay awake for the remaining 10 minutes. While Mr Crowley began to talk of the Shakespearian upbringing, Dan passed a note onto my desk. I unfolded it and sniggered at the quickly sketched drawing of Mr Crowley. It showed his cheeks puffed out a grumpy expression on his face complete with steam coming out of his ears and some rather inappropriate drawings. *cough cough BALLS Cough... DICK!* I grinned and added to the drawing before passing it back.
“AND I WILL NOT HAVE NOTES!!!”  Roared Mr Crowley chucking his whiteboard marker at our heads. We both ducked out of the way and there was a girlish squeal from behind us as it hit the blonde bimbo. “Give me the note!” he glared at Dan.
Dan looked from me, to the note, to Mr Crowley who looked as angry as a bull. “Haha, I don’t think so.” He chuckled looking at the teacher as if he was insane.
Before Mr Crowley could say anything Dan whipped out a lighter from his pocket and set the note a flame.  I stared at him. Was he insane!! The note was quickly eaten by the flame, and as it demolished it charcoaling the paper, Dan quickly blew it out before it singed his fingers.  He then casually popped the lighter back into his pocket.
Never in my life, had I heard Mr Crowley scream so blatantly loud.  “DETENTION!! DETENTION MR NICKLESON!!! DETENTION!!!!!!!” He roared.
Dan sat back in his seat a grin on his face.
“Oh...my goooddd!!” I gasped chuckling hysterically.
“YOU OUT!! NO BOTH OF YOU OUTT!!! GET OUUT!!!!!!!” He roared chucking another whiteboard marker.
We both grabbed our bags swiping everything off our desks and then exited the class room as quickly as possible. As soon as the door swung shut behind us I was in tears.

We left early and stood waiting by the cars for Haley, Ben and the others to arrive.  I leant against the black Nissan titan, it’s paint hot from the sun.  There were still a few minutes before the bells rang, so when I saw a kid leave the front office I stared.  He was tall, and had a dark brown crew cut, and walked like he had something shoved up his ass. Shoulders swaggered and as he caught sight of me looking at him a cocky smirk slid onto his face. Dan hadn’t notice him and was busy texting on his phone. The crew cut dude stopped at the bottom of the steps to main entrance of the school and leant against the railing. He watched me.  A strange prickly sensation crept up my neck as I locked eyes with him daring him to look away. As kids started flooding out the doors, he turned away to watch them. He was waiting for someone. I watched too.  I spotted Tina coming down the stairs on the other side, head held high and pony tail swinging.  Groups of girls, groups of guys, the odd nerd tablet in front of face- I have no idea how they can navigate down the stairs with their eyes glued to those things. A guy a head taller than most other students pushed through the doors, as I stared I noticed he had long blonde dreadlocks. Gross. 
I looked back to the crew cut dude and was surprised to find another boy stood with him, and when dreadlocks got to the bottom of the stairs and turned his gaze in my direction. I froze. 
Three guys.
I let out the smallest whimper and Dan looked up next to me. “You alright?” He asked I turned and looked at him. He had a weird expression on his face. “....yeah.”  I muttered.
I turned back to the stair railings. They were gone. Shit.
“What’s wrong with you, you look like you just tried on a dress to small.”
Tina was suddenly standing beside me hand on her hip and an unimpressed look on her face. “Nothing, what wrong with you? You look like you’ve just been told you can’t have plastic surgery.” I said smirking at her.
My face dropped when a shiny black aventador pulled up in front of us. “What’s wrong Kaela?” Grinned Tina wickedly. “You look like you’ve just seen a dick for the first time?”
“Fuck you.” I muttered walking towards the car.
I took a deep breath and opened the door, swinging it above my head.