Chapter 81

Nathan's POV

I had woken that morning at some ungodly hour to Spencer kicking at my shins. Damnit I'd fallen asleep.

"Wake up princess, your watch is done."

There was another painful kick to my shins and I growled. My muscles ached with a familiar cold as I woke up the muscles and joints which had locked in one position for hours. I blinked sleepily and flicked my gaze towards kayla, she was still as she had been last night, curled up facing away from me. I listened to her soft breathing wondering if she was awake, but her breathing was deep and steady. "Get up!" Snarled Spencer scowling at me. I glared at him and slowly eased myself up. My shoulders crunched and cracked as I stretched. Spencer peered in through the bars his eyes roaming over her body. I glared at him. The thought of his eyes roaming over her weak figure stirred and unfathomable surge of hatred.

"So this is the famous girl?" He muttered gripping hold of the bars tightly. "The one who killed Derick, a dozen other men, scared Trent away, and has this magical shifter gene." Silently he watched her and cocked his head to the side his eyes darkening with lust. "She doesn't say much though. I don't know... I just though she'd be something more. Sure she's fucking good to luck at" He smiled before trailing his tongue over his teeth. " But...well a bit pathetic really." He muttered not entirely to me, but more to him self. 

 Some of his words rang true and looking back to Kaela laid out asleep on the floor I knew that she was broken. I only hoped that when she woke she would grow strong again. I hadn't seen her in years and so much had changed, but like Spencer I had heard the stories of how she returned that night. She had been a raging devil killing over half of the men Derick had taken with him and then to everyones surprise killed the Devil himself. I'd thought that after his death it would all be over. I could go home, but instead it had given Trent the spotlight of opportunity. He stepped up and took command, it was his drive to step out of his brothers shadow and become his father and more. When his intentions fell towards Kaela again. It took every once of strength not to loose and surrender to the hope I still clung to.

The thought of having to leave her twisted dread in my stomach, but there was no way to avoid it, Trent always demanded that I see him at 8am sharp. I wondered what he wanted this time. Would he want someone to spar with him? Would he spend the time walking circles round me taunting me about his latest victory? Or would he give me another job to see to?

I vowed that as soon as we'd finished I would be back to check on her.

Spencer grinned and then looked at me over his shoulder, "Have fun," he sneered.

Silently I crept through the building following the maze of the concrete walls and corridors. This place smelt as good as it looked. It was an abandoned building on the south side of the city, a graffitied jungle of dusty dirty rooms. Trent had bought it months back, and it was used as a base contact for any men he sent on jobs up in this area. Right now it was a the drop-off zone before we moved back out to the Denton mansion house. Even though Trent owned the place, he never lingered here longer than he had to, and when ever he did enter he always looked extremely out of place. No, he stayed at a hotel and caught a car here.

The dingy green lights which flickered above my head lite up small sections of the building. Everything was dead quiet apart from the faint sounds of the dripping water pipes and the rats. Almost everyone would be asleep. They'd be sleeping off the late night of drinking, poker games, and what ever and whoever last nights entertainment had been. I checked my watch, the steel arrows on an white face slowly ticked to 7:59am. I had one minute. Trent was never late, but he always liked me to be there before he was. The illusion that I was waiting for him to show up gave his uranus sized ego a boost.