An Invitation

Melina couldn’t help but look suspiciously at Louis while on the Ferris wheel. 

“What do you mean that you like me?” Melina asked, narrowing her eyes at Louis, who barely looked like as if he was  listening to her because he was staring out the window at the city below.

“I like you.”

“Like as a friend or?” Melina grilled.

“I don’t know.” Louis said, still not looking at her, rather fascinated by the view.

Melina wanted to facepalm. 

“Do you?” Louis asked in turn, finally turning to look at her.

“Do I what?”

“Like me?”

Melina opened and closed her mouth several times, quite reminiscent of a fish.  “No!” She cringed at Louis’s appalled and rather hurt expression.  “I’m sorry Louis, I didn’t mean it like that!”

“Then what did you mean it like?” Louis demanded. 

Melina closed her eyes as she sighed.  “Louis, it’s just, since that day on the subway, my life’s been a whirlwind and I-” Melina stopped, wondering why she was telling him all this especially when he said that he didn’t know himself.  “Louis, you don’t even know yourself!”

“Well, you were the one that just-” Louis began to protest in his defense.

“Louis, I just meant that, I don’t, I can’t possibly like you more than… yeah.” Melina ended. 

“What if I do end up liking you then? And what is with yeah?”

Melina grimaced, the yeah ending really was not one of her finer moments, but she honestly had no idea how to respond to Louis.  If he had a vindictive bone in his body, she would’ve thought that he was trying to confuse her on purpose, but as much of a troublemaker he seemed to be in her life, she knew he was anything but vindictive.  “Look Louis, let’s just try to be friends first, before you start asking yourself that.” Melina finally settled. 

Louis looked like he wanted to protest but the look Melina shot him made him stop.  “So does this mean that we’re friends?”

Melina shook her head as she laughed.  “I didn’t think you’d let me get away with not being so.”

Louis grinned wickedly.  “And if I want to be more than friends?”

Melina eyed him, “Louis,” she warned. 

Louis crossed his arms as he looked at her.

“Fine, if it ever comes to that, then you Louis Tomlinson need to woo me, sweep me off my feet, anything to make up for all the yelling Eva is bound to throw at me.”

~~~

The night was starting to wane as well as Melina who was starting to feel exhausted.  Louis quickly hailed a cab once they left the Ferris Wheel.  He held the door open to let Melina slide in, getting in after her. 

Melina murmured her address as she yawned.  Unfortunately or fortunately in some cases, the ride to Melina’s apartment was a good half hour, causing the already sleepy Melina to doze off.  At first she had her head leaning away from Louis, her neck utterly uncomfortable, but in the middle of her nap, she had moved her head to the other side and snuggled into the curve of Louis’s neck. 

Louis only chuckled while he brushed a piece of auburn colored tendril that got into his face, away.   A few minutes later, Melina’s phone began to ring and out of pure habit, Louis answered.