Serendipitous: Louis' Story

Serendipitous: Louis's Story

Melina scooted over as the doors of the subway opened, letting in even more people in the crowded compartment. A guy wearing a hat and sunglasses came to stand right beside her. Melina looked wearily at him, no normal person would wear shades as dark as his in a subway.

The subway stopped again, unfortunately even more people entered squishing Melina between a sweaty guy whose shirt was nearly see through now and the person in the sunglasses. Melina held onto the pole as tight as she could as the train picked up speed, when it stopped rather abruptly, Melina would've fallen, mostly likely into sweaty guy if it wasn't for a strong, rather muscular arm holding her. The train jerked, causing Melina to close her eyes and the sunglass guy holding her, to pull her even closer. So close in fact that Melina could smell his cologne.

The train finally stopped and Melina found that half her body was turned towards the sunglass dude, who held her to him, while the others in the compartment began to shift out of the train. Sunglass guy let go of Melina when the compartment emptied.

"Thanks," Melina said before a person got up to get out, bumping into her hard, so hard that Melina's purse spilled. "What a jerk," Melina said outraged as she bent down to pick up her stuff, only to be held again when the train started with a jerk.

Melina and Sunglass guy began to put all the spilled items back into her purse just as the train stopped again, this time at Melina's stop. Melina got up quickly, almost falling over in the process if it wasn't for sunglass dude... again. He held her by her elbow to prevent her from falling flat on her face as the car jerked to a stop. Really why was the subway so jerky today?

"Thank you so much," Melina said hurriedly getting back to her feet, she gave the sunglass guy a smile before running out of the compartment.

"Wait!"

Melina turned around just as the compartment doors closed, having heard the cry.

Melina stared as sunglass guy was on the other side, a mere rather dirty glass window dividing them. Just as the guy was about to pull his glasses off, the compartment began, picking up speed as it went, creating a force that blew Melina's hair and scarf, covering her vision.

Louis held his Ray Bans limply in his hand while he continued to look out the window, as if expecting the girl to still be there, but she wasn't. Instead he was watching whilst another train blew past. Louis looked down at his other hand where he was clutching an Android, one that was most certainly not his.

~~~

Fortunately for her, Melina made it to work just on time.

"You're almost late!" Lucy, her co-worker yelled.

"Almost!" Melina cheerfully echoed back.

"Ahh, it doesn't matter anyway, we're having absolutely no traffic." Lucy pouted while she rested her chin on the counter. "It's too friggin cold to get ice cream at this time of the year."

"We sell coffee too, and Luce sit up!" Their boss, Rachel yelled. "Melina, your apron's in Kel's locker because she forgot to bring hers yesterday and borrowed yours. Luce, stop making faces with the whip cream unless you want me to take each can of whip cream out of your paycheck."

Melina laughed at Lucy with her guilty face as she made her way to the lockers. She took her apron out of Kelly's locker before going to her own. She quickly pulled her auburn hair up in a messy bun before hanging up her bag.

Four hours later, and maybe twenty customers at most, Melina's shift was over.

"Lucy, have you seen my phone anywhere?" She asked whilst she searched her bag furiously.

"Nope." Lucy popped her p as she continued to look through a magazine. "Call it, and maybe we can hear it." Lucy said pointing to the store's telephone.

Melina nervously bit her lip as she dialed it, keeping an ear out for the sound of her ringtone. After four rings and hearing nothing, she was about to hang up when someone answered her phone!

"Hello?" A voice answered with a slight British accent. Melina's jaw dropped in shock.

"Hello? What do you mean hello, who are you and what the hell are you doing with my phone!" Melina all but yelled.

"It's you!" the voice on the other end exclaimed cheerfully.

Melina began to slightly hyperventilate that someone had stolen her phone and had the audacity to answer it! "Excuse me but-"

"It's me, the guy from the subway, you dropped your phone,"

The rather colorful vocabulary that was on the tip of Melina's tongue died rather fast. She blushed a furious shade of red. "Oh, I'm so sorry,"

"No problem, but oh your mum wants you to come home this weekend, your friend? Eva wants to know if you want to go on a double date with her and Kent? Oh and you have a- wait can you wait a minute, there's a call on the other line."

Melina's mouth was dry and she was unable to utter a word as she processed what just happened. A complete stranger had her phone, apparently read all her messages and-

"Sorry I'm back, you know that Rob guy's really persistent, even after I told him that you and I were together, he still tries to call you. My god is he rude too, I answer the phone and he curses off a storm calling me bastard. Oh and pretty name by the way, Melina."

Melina's jaw dropped again at the stranger's boldness, though she was rather glad to not have to deal with any messages from Rob, her filthy cheating sorry excuse of an ex. But still! This was way too much for her to handle and a total stranger, no matter how nice they were, knowing all this about her.

"Look, I just need my phone back." Melina sighed. There was no response on the other end. "Soon."

"Okay."

"Is there any way I can meet you to-"

"Hell, I'm sorry Melina but I have to go and practice with the guys, can you call me back in two hours." Melina's protest died on her lips as the line went dead on the other end.

~~~