Chapter 94 - Mothers Who Swear Like Sailors

It was 9:00 am when my mom arrived in Amelia's hospital room. I was cuddled up with George on the couch besides my aunt's bed and the look my mother shot us didn't make me feel like welcoming here. 

“So this is him”

“Mom" I sigh, sitting up “The him with a name, it’s George and you know it”

George squeezes my hand probably due to the rude tone I’m using with my mother but I say nothing in response, she knows damn well his name.

“I would have preferred we had met in better circumstances…but there’s nothing we can do now” she sighs this time “Nice to meet you, George”

“You too, Mrs.Carter” he responds politely.

“Now that we’ve got that out of the way, do you mind leaving me alone with my daughter for a few minutes?”

“Mom” I practically hiss.

“Hey, it’s okay” George interrupts “Don’t worry, I’ll go get us some drinks”

“Thanks” I give him a weak smile.

“Coffee, no sugar please” my mother says and it takes everything in me not to strangle her right now.

When George leaves I turn to her.

“Mom, don’t abuse it”

“I’ve just got out of a 9 hour flight. I am thankful for his manners and was just telling him what I’d like to drink since I’m extremely tired” she replies.

I love my mom, I really do, but like any other person in the world, there are times when you would just beg her to shut up. I did have a good relationship with her, even though we got angry with each other, we still always made up, that was family.

“Yeah, you made that clear since the moment you stepped in here”

“About his manners? Well he does, got better ones than you honestly”

“And who taught me those, huh?” I fire back.

“Laura…” she warns.

“You didn’t come here to discuss my manners or George, mom” I take a deep breath “Even though I know you’d really like to, there are more important things”

“Yes, there are” she sighs heavily, turning to look at her little sister, lying in a bed, her skin pale and hooked up in tubes and machines. The tears that form in her eyes don’t go unnoticed and I don’t hesitate in engulfing her in a hug.

“She’s gonna be okay, mom” and I really want her to believe me, hope is all we got now.

-

George wasn’t coming to the hospital for days now, not that he didn’t want to, but he needed to promote the band and rehearse a whole fucking lot, since he was in the semi-finals and we all knew James and Jahmene we’re not an easy act to beat.

Of course it was less lonely with my mother here, but missing him was something that I wasn’t getting used to, though I knew that soon I needed to. At least there was a thing called mobile phones, which I was more than grateful for.

From: George Shelley

Missing you babe :( hope everything is okay! Call me if you need anything, I love you X

To: George Shelley

Miss you too :)) How are things? Hope they are okay as well, thank you! love youuu xx

“Texting lover boy?”

“George mom, his name is George”

“I know, doesn’t mean I can’t call him whatever else I want”

“Mom” I sigh for the tenth time in one day.

“Cheer up, I’m just trying to brighten the mood”

“We’ve been in this hospital for a week now and your sister is in a coma, I don’t need anybody trying to brighten the fucking mood” I instantly snap.

“Watch your fucking tongue” she narrows her eyes “You know damn well that if it was me in that bed she would be trying to do the same”

I don’t argue because she is right. My mother and aunt weren’t very similar regarding looks, but personality? Basically the same person. Always joking around and laughing. The only thing that differed them was when my mom became, well…a mom, having kids made her be a little bit more serious about life and the adult stuff. Yet, she did still swear like a sailor.

“Sorry” I mutter.

“I know” she responds “I don’t want to fight, I’ve already fought with so many freaking doctors in here for a clear answer, but it’s all the same, inconclusive exams and unknown results”

Unknown was the words word for me. They didn’t know. Nobody knew if or when Amelia was going to wake up.

“It could be weeks or years, we just can’t tell” one of the doctors had said.

I was fucking terrified and I knew my mother was too, but neither of us showed it.

“You’re staying until Monday, right?” I ask her.

We are staying until Monday”

“We already had this conversation” I lower my voice.

“We did, but I’m your mother and you’re not staying here any longer, with your aunt in this situation and the start of your school year barely three weeks away.”

“Mom, you know-“

“I know, believe me I do, you made a life here and you’ve got an amazing job and friends but you know, you know you have to come back”

I didn’t argue because I knew she was right again. Instead I let myself shed a couple of tears, some for Amelia and some for me leaving.