Cancer

Brandon's POV

" What's the rate?" I ask, stumbling over my words. Jack shifts in my arms, resting his head on my shoulder. Lena holds Maddy's hand, as Bailey runs off, jumping on Mariana's lap. 

" Are you asking me about the survival rate?" The suregon asks softly, as he pulls his glasses from his neck and reads his clipboard. He mumbles an assortment of words, that become jumbled up in my head as he shakes his head.

" Mr. Foster. I'm not exactly sure. These situations are constantly changing. Your wife can be at a one percent chance one day, and ninety nine the next. We're still running tests on her, though. Stay strong, I'll send a nurse in a little bit to tell you what's next." The doctor explains, glancing down at his watch, as he hints a smile, walking away quickly as his pager begins to beep.

" Wait." I nearly yell, as he turns back, " Does she have cancer?" The words fall out my mouth before I even begin to process what door I have just begun to open. Lena looks at me, biting her lip, as Bailey begins to cry.

He looks at the floor as he murmurs, " Mr. Foster, sir, it is highly probable that she may have Leukemia." 

I say nothing, as I look at my three children. I look over at Bailey, whom at nearly six years old already is mature enough to begin to understand that Callie is very sick. And then there's Maddy. Pure, innocent Madds. A quiet, yet somehow endering compassionate daughter. I can see the frusation in her eyes, as she tries to desperatly find out what is wrong with her mother, her everything. And Jack. Jack is still so young, a baby, how will he grow up without Callie?

My mother grabs my hand, squeezing tightly, as I hand Jack off to her. Running my fingers through my hair, I whisper, to almost no one in general, " No matter what, we can get through this. Right?" I whisper softly. Lena takes my hand into hers, " Yes, baby." She says, trying to smile through her tears.

Bailey hops onto my lap, resting her head on my shoulder, as I rub circles on her back, comforting her.

" Daddy?" She asks through a series of sobs. " Yes?" I answer as she slowly begins to bring her lips to my forehead, " No matter what, I love you." I smile, kissing her nose as I whisper, " Bails, I love you too."

" How much?" She teases, as I extend my arms to my full wingspand. 

" That's it?" She questions as she tugs at my arms. "Daddy, I love you that much. See, more than you love me."

" That's impossible." I say as Bailey wraps her arms around my neck. " Impossible just means I'm possible." 

" Oh really?" I laugh, " Who told you that?"

" Mommy." Bailey responds softly.

And suddenly I am taken back to a world without a present Callie.